PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Lake auto draw

dbeitz1891
12-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Looking at buying a Smoky Lake Crescendo auto draw. Looking for feedback on the item and whether you would recommend it or not. Thanks

maple flats
12-28-2016, 08:55 AM
I don't have their Crescendo auto draw, but I really like their basic auto draw. I just have a ball valve ahead of the auto draw and regulate the flow that way. It was quite easy to regulate the flow. That being said, I'll bet the crescendo is a real step up.

maplemas
12-28-2016, 09:09 AM
I bought a Great Lakes Guardian Auto Draw-Off System last season and ran 800 gallons through it .. I had 1 time that the valve wouldn't open turned out to be gummed up .. I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes and it worked again..now I clean it about every barrel to be safe .. I really like the stack temp option with the wood fired arch . I fill fire box based on that which keeps my rig going at full potential I feel..

Sugarmaker
12-28-2016, 09:11 AM
If you don't have a draw off now then you will really appreciate one when things get to rolling and the syrup starts coming off.
I have a Marcland and really like it. Bottom line is once you have a auto draw off you wont go back to manual draw off! I am sure Smokey Lake and the other big equipment folks will be able to supply you with quotes so you can shop. Good luck!
Regards,
Chris

dbeitz1891
12-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Well they are currently out of the simplicity model and Kettering the crescendo for a highly discounted price so I figure why not. We don't currently have an auto draw and know it would be a great upgrade for a more affordable price compared to the big company models.

Windy Acres
12-28-2016, 12:17 PM
We lust purchased the crescendo, havent made a draw with it yet, but i can tell you its a well made piece of equipment, and it comes with plenty of wire for the valve and probe1489914900

jmayerl
12-28-2016, 10:13 PM
I have one and it works great. First gen valves had poor capacitors in them and have since all been upgraded to a new and much sturdy one. I did have a switch break internally which I need to get replaced but I like it a lot.

dbeitz1891
12-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Looks like a good unit, did you buy the valve assembly along with it? Seems a bit cumbersome on your unit.

Windy Acres
12-29-2016, 12:12 PM
I built the valve unit, my evaporator is only a 2x8, and i dont like any extra weight hanging if it doesn't need to be, hence the chains, switching sides is a breeze, i have all thw wires centered, just undo the unoin and take the whole assembly to the chain on the other side

dbeitz1891
12-29-2016, 01:45 PM
I understand, I have an older arch so it's only one sided so what I fix to it can be somewhat more permanent. I think km going to go ahead and pull the trigger

tuckermtn
12-29-2016, 04:11 PM
we have the crecendo unit and love it - when it became difficult to manipulate the valve from my wheelchair, i knew it was time for an upgrade

johnc
01-03-2017, 09:04 AM
got a simplicity last season, works great price is right nice people to deal with can"t say enough. have a great season

dbeitz1891
01-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I purchased one now just waiting for it to be shipped so we can get it plumbed in

maple flats
01-04-2017, 10:22 AM
You'll like it, and the currant price makes the move that much better. I have the Simplicity, but would have gotten the Crescendo if it had been $550 when I bought the Simplicity. That's a super price. For those thinking about one, buy the Crescendo before Smoky Lake gets more Simplicitys back in stock. Their loss will be your gain.

1arch
01-07-2017, 06:38 PM
First season with mine last year. Mine worked flawless. We even named ours "NG"... New guy, since it was like having another helper n the sugar house.

cbmapleguy
01-14-2017, 08:24 AM
I have one and it works great. First gen valves had poor capacitors in them and have since all been upgraded to a new and much sturdy one. I did have a switch break internally which I need to get replaced but I like it a lot.

I've built 2 draw offs with a solenoid style valve over the last couple of years and currently working on my third. I've purchased what looks to be the identical ball valve as the Smokey Lake. I do like how it's slow to open and close but I am concerned with how it will hold up over time. I have done some cold syrup tests in my kitchen to see how much power it has to open and close a gummed up ball valve. Did you have any issues with the valve not opening or closing after some time?

Haynes Forest Products
01-14-2017, 09:18 AM
I have the great lakes and have had no problems with it. Finally a company that has taken the time to make a REAL operating manual with colored pictures YE HA. I'm an oil burner and like the stack temp probe just to reassure me that all is well in the arch. I used to have a solenoid valve and it snapped shut so fast it would trap scale/niter in the plastic seat and it would drip and require cleaning every couple of days. I have had my valve stick but that is just a simple cleaning when the finish pans are swapped out.

Some valves LOOK the same but will they close if there is a power outage??

jmayerl
01-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Never had a problem with the power open/close valve

cbmapleguy
01-14-2017, 01:01 PM
I have the great lakes and have had no problems with it. Finally a company that has taken the time to make a REAL operating manual with colored pictures YE HA. I'm an oil burner and like the stack temp probe just to reassure me that all is well in the arch. I used to have a solenoid valve and it snapped shut so fast it would trap scale/niter in the plastic seat and it would drip and require cleaning every couple of days. I have had my valve stick but that is just a simple cleaning when the finish pans are swapped out.

Some valves LOOK the same but will they close if there is a power outage??

Yes, it will close without a power source; that is actually how it closes. There is a capacitor on the valve that stores enough energy to close the valve. When the circuit closes, the capacitor stores energy; when the circuit opens, the energy stored in the capacitor closes the valve.

Haynes Forest Products
01-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Perfect I got a valve of ebay I thought was going to work with my Markland and it had 3 wires Oooooop's didnt work :mad: Live and learn. By the way I didn't have any problems with the markland just wanted to upgrade and got good money selling it.