PDA

View Full Version : bourbon barrel maple

maplefarmer
12-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Would like to try putting maple in a used bourbon barrel, seems to be the new trend. Does anyone have any experience with this? such as do you put in hot, botteling temp? or put in barrel cool, will it mold if put in cool? how long does it stay in barrel? from what i found so far it gives maple a deeper buttery flavor, not even sure i want to tamper with the taste of pure maple.

jmayerl
12-27-2016, 09:32 AM
I did much research for two years and made 15 gallons of bourbon barrel syrup this year. I think it turned out great but to justify it I need $20/ pint retail and that is a hard sell.

maplefarmer
12-27-2016, 11:16 AM
thanks for the response jmayerl, what was the procedure you used?

asknupp
12-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Talking to my CDL rep here in Ohio it sounds like a number of different producers are doing it. When I asked how it was taking off he said that it is unbelievabley good and just a matter of time before it is sought. Also said that the price doubled but that it is selling. He is from the Columbus area where he might have a better stance in marketing it.

maple maniac65
12-28-2016, 07:11 AM
At what percentage of alcohol is a producer shooting for?

maplefarmer
12-28-2016, 07:39 AM
I don't think it is intended to be an actual achohol drink, from what I understand by using used bourbon barrels, it will make the maple a more deep,intense, more bold flavor, think from the charred,smoking of the barrel, because I think I have seen online somewhere that you could buy this at walmart. But not sure if it would be sold in beer/wine section?

steam maker
12-28-2016, 04:41 PM
How do u do it? Do u hot pack it in the barrels? Sounds kinda cool id like to try doing it!!

WESTMAPLES
12-28-2016, 05:03 PM
i thought about doing some buorbon maple but haven`t gotten to it yet.... too many projects still lol . there is a member that goes by grimmreaper that has talked in the forums about making it, thru a posting i had for some used maple equipment for sale on craigslist, he called me and we got talkin... i told him about MT and he was like yeah im on there to.... we talked about maple and he told me all about making buorbon maple , i think he even said he would sell me some smaller oak barrels he had if i wanted to try it out. i would try to PM him for some info

esetter
12-28-2016, 07:04 PM
I have had it from a company in Michigan. It was really good! I like both products so it really appealed to me. Bourbon barrel aging beer is and has been the craze in the world of dark beer. I thought about trying to char a piece of white oak , soak it in bourbon for a month or so. Dry it , then put it a mason jar. Hot pack the syrup on it and see how that turned out.

jmayerl
12-28-2016, 10:06 PM
thanks for the response jmayerl, what was the procedure you used?
Like I said, my procedure was lots of research and lots of time, so unfortunately that does not come free.

markct
01-08-2017, 02:34 PM
well heres what i did, heated it warm like 120 to flow and help release some of the flavors. let it sit refridgerated for a couple months then reheated and bottled. no reason to heat to botttling temps to put in a wood barrel that isnt airtight anyhow. but does need to be refridgerated to prevent mold or spoilage

steam maker
01-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Thank you for sharing your process

upsmapleman
01-08-2017, 05:33 PM
I have a question. From what I've seen of some of the new regulations at least here in Pa. it says no finished product shall come in contact with wood. There was a story in the Maple News about a federal inspection where wood handle scoops were not permitted. If this is the case how can you put syrup in a wooden barrel and then sell it. Just wondered.

maple maniac65
01-09-2017, 06:20 AM
Not being sold as pure maple syrup

upsmapleman
01-09-2017, 01:37 PM
So what you are saying its ok for some foods to be in contact with wood just not pure maple syrup.

Maple Man 85
01-09-2017, 07:05 PM
So what you are saying its ok for some foods to be in contact with wood just not pure maple syrup.

That would be correct...