PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing head tank to evaporator

mspina14
12-26-2016, 06:31 PM
I spent this afternoon plumbing my 240 gallon LaPierre head tank to my Mason 2X4 XL evaporator.

I've never done this before, so comments are welcome.

Tank is outside sugar house on a raised platform.

So I ran a 2 inch PVC pipe from the drain on the head tank through the sugar house wall. I included a ball valve on the pipe between the tank and the wall in case I needed to turn off the flow from outside.

On the other side of the wall, I added a "T" for a sight tube, and another ball valve so I could turn off the flow from the inside of the shack:

I added a metal elbow to the float tank and connected the PVC pipe to the float tank with a flexible 3/4" PVC tubing.

I will fill the tank with water tomorrow and try a test boil.

Let me know what you think.

thanks

Mark

wnybassman
12-26-2016, 06:44 PM
How much drop is there from where is comes through the wall, to the float valve? Looks to be about a foot?

n8hutch
12-26-2016, 06:46 PM
I'd say that you did a fine job.

mspina14
12-26-2016, 07:13 PM
How much drop is there from where is comes through the wall, to the float valve? Looks to be about a foot?

The drop from the pipe to the float value is about 9 inches or so.

Hard to see it from the above photo.

From what I've read on here, that seems like enough of a drop for a good flow.

But the test boil will tell....

Mark

wnybassman
12-26-2016, 07:23 PM
The drop from the pipe to the float value is about 9 inches or so.

Hard to see it from the above photo.

From what I've read on here, that seems like enough of a drop for a good flow.

But the test boil will tell....

Mark

I don't think you'll have a problem. Everything looks great! I love that tank :)

mspina14
12-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Thanks.

We've come a long way from boiling sap on the kitchen stove!

Mark

VTnewguy
12-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Looks great! That's what we are going to work on today with our sugar shack. You have given me a couple of ideas.

maple maniac65
12-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Are you going to drain your head tank every Day? Thawing pvc is not fun unless you have plenty of hot water. Nice tank

wnybassman
12-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Are you going to drain your head tank every Day? Thawing pvc is not fun unless you have plenty of hot water. Nice tank

I wrapped heat tape around mine, and plug it in when conditions dictate.

asknupp
12-28-2016, 07:11 AM
Similar to what I have. Works great as with my shack sitting at the bottom of the property. I have a 1" tubing going from holding tank up to driveway that gravity feeds after I go collect from other properties. The only thing you might consider before things start to flow is putting a PVC union before it enters the shack. Break union and you can wash or rinse tank that way.

Sugarmaker
12-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Yo have a nice set up. Couple other things to consider, one was touched on. Draining and rinsing the tank after each run is a great option. I have a bypass "tee" to allow me to drain the tank if I have just rinsed it out. It also lets you get a bucket full of sap quickly if you need to have one setting near the arch. (Which you should have, typically known as the OooH SH*T! bucket).
Also you may want to fab a simple lid if you don't have one? Make sure the platform and ladder are safe to climb/walk on when icy.
I like to put a lot of unions in my lines. Always seems like I am taking them apart for some reason.
I think your system is going to work fine. And as mentioned heat tape may be in order if you have electric in the sugarhouse.
Nice sugarhouse and evaporator. Good luck with your test boil.
Regards,
Chris

mspina14
12-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys for the comments and advise.

I didn't think of the freezing issue for PVC but that makes perfect sense. I do have electric in the sugar house, so I will pick up some electric heat tape.

I was thinking of putting in some kind of PVC union between the tank and the outside wall. I can foresee having to disconnect the tank from the PVC line to move it around to clean it. I did put a "T" fitting on the base of the tank. See below:

I can close the outside value and open the back plug to flush out the tank. But sooner or later, I know I'll have to move the tank for something. So a union makes sense and I will add one to the line.

Mark

johnpma
12-29-2016, 07:49 AM
Very nice work!! I didn't know you can use PVC for the plumbing to transfer sap......I learn something here every time I visit

Looks like you are ready for the season......well done