PDA

View Full Version : shurflo set ups

devils11217
12-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Anyone have pictures of there shurflo set up?

Wanabe1972
12-24-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't run shurflos but a similar pump and I can take some pictures later today. Got to fill my tummy with a nice maple spiral ham. Jeff

Earthman
12-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Cool, thank you Wanabe and Devils. I am too thinking about the SHurflo set up and would appreciate some pics, info.

Thank you and happy holidays,

Earthman

BAP
12-26-2016, 07:05 AM
If you do a search for Shurflo on this site you will find previous posts and pictures that people have made.

Earthman
12-27-2016, 05:51 AM
Thanks BAP.

BAP
12-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Your welcome. I have one and it works quite well.

Wanabe1972
12-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Earthman , sorry i didn't get back to you sooner it seems hosting 25 people for Christmas dinner was more taxing than I thought. These are the pictures of the units I use. 14865. I run one on 16 taps about 200 feet of line. One is 32 taps about 300 feet of line and the 3 Rd is 40 taps on almost 300 line. They pull 20 to 24 inches at times and are set up on thermos. The come on a 33 degrees and shuts the light off and off at 31 and turns the light on so they don't freeze. I shopped around for parts and have about 100 each invested and took so it took about 2 days of go SAP flow to pay for themselves. I had the coolers already so that is not figured in. They all run 5/16 in and out on pump so yearly setup is drop the out line to the tank and the inlet to the tree side and plug in. These are literally set up in 5 minutes

Earthman
12-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Thanks Wanabe! I have researched the Shurflo's quite a bit on this site (and others). All the info still has my head a bit swimming, but I like the journey and potential outcome. I just set up a 200 foot 3/4 inch mail line with about 20-25 taps on it. Coming off this line, about 30 feet from where the sap tank will be located (as well as the pump), there is another 100 feet of 3/4 inch main line, which will carry another 15 or so taps. Assuming I have no vac leaks, does this seem like the Shurflo will be able to handle it. I am guessing that the overall pitch is somewhere within the 3-5 degree range of the mainline. The laterals have about the same pitch going into the mains.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Clinkis
12-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks Wanabe! I have researched the Shurflo's quite a bit on this site (and others). All the info still has my head a bit swimming, but I like the journey and potential outcome. I just set up a 200 foot 3/4 inch mail line with about 20-25 taps on it. Coming off this line, about 30 feet from where the sap tank will be located (as well as the pump), there is another 100 feet of 3/4 inch main line, which will carry another 15 or so taps. Assuming I have no vac leaks, does this seem like the Shurflo will be able to handle it. I am guessing that the overall pitch is somewhere within the 3-5 degree range of the mainline. The laterals have about the same pitch going into the mains.

Should work just fine. I ran about 100 taps on 600' of 3/4 mainline with a sureflo last year. Under 2% slope. Pulled 20+ inches consistently. Doubled my production. Key is minimizing leaks and sags in mainline. These pumps don't have the CFM's to overcome any leaks.

I don't have any pics but my setup was very simple. A 3/4" cam lock on the end of mainline necked down to 1/2" into pump. I brought my pump in at night if going to be really cold. A couple alligator clips to attach to deep cycle battery. Just sat pump on top of battery.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Should work just fine. I ran about 100 taps on 600' of 3/4 mainline with a sureflo last year. Under 2% slope. Pulled 20+ inches consistently. Doubled my production. Key is minimizing leaks and sags in mainline. These pumps don't have the CFM's to overcome any leaks.

I don't have any pics but my setup was very simple. A 3/4" cam lock on the end of mainline necked down to 1/2" into pump. I brought my pump in at night if going to be really cold. A couple alligator clips to attach to deep cycle battery. Just sat pump on top of battery.

Moser's Maple
12-28-2016, 05:29 AM
here's a stupid little video I did when I first started playing with the idea of shurflo's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIHKxcNAJTg

mudr
12-28-2016, 05:53 AM

What size batteries do you guys run and how long can you get them to operate for? Putting in a 100-115 tap 3/4 main system now. I will use my 300 gallon milk tank for a collecting tank. So, I will have storage capacity. Figure a small pump and a battery would be cheaper than another 100 tap line running in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Clinkis
12-28-2016, 06:28 AM
I have a couple marine deep cycle batteries that I would rotate. Not sure of the exact size but you want a good quality deep cycle battery. I could get 24 hours per battery. I would put the other battery on charge when not in use. I tried a regular car battery but it would only go 8-10 hours and by the end of the season wouldn't hardly work at all because it couldnt handle the charging and discharging.

I think 2 gallons per tap storage is good. Last year I only had 1 gallon per tap and my tank ran over several times during heavy runs. This year Im getting rid of all my buckets and adding more main line. I will have all my 220 taps coming into one location. Unfortunately this will be too many taps for a shurflo so I am adding a vacuum pump and releaser. Shurflo's are good for about a 100 taps max.

Earthman
12-28-2016, 06:43 AM
Hi all- Appreciate all of the info so far. Couple quick questions.....First, I plan to run an extension cord to operation my pump. Any ideas on which unit I should get (2088 or 4008???). Also, some of the research I have seen has stated the importance of having a separate mainline coming out of the storage tank to recirculate sap back into the mainline prior to re-entering the pump again (in an attempt to help initiate and promote vacuum). Can anyone chime in to provide more input on how this might be set up. Also, would it make sense to purchase a "back up" pump just in case......For the price of these, I might be able to swing it.

Thank you all,
Mike

Clinkis
12-28-2016, 06:59 AM
I use the 2088 but I think either will work. The 2088 has a slightly higher GPM I believe. From reports I've heard, the AC versions of these pumps do not have nearly the life as the DC versions and will not handle the long continuous running. Get the DC version then get a 12v power supply to run it off your AC. Usually it's the diaphragm that goes in these pumps so it wouldn't hurt to have a rebuild kit on hand.

These pumps will pull more vacuum when they have liquid in them and some members did have success by adding a feedback loop from there storage tank. But I was more then happy with the performance without it and didn't want the hassle of the extra plumbing and controlling it. If sap is running you should have a trickle of sap coming in anyways if your system is setup properly.

Biz
12-28-2016, 08:27 AM
For battery I use a NAPA #8270 deep cycle marine battery. It isn't the biggest battery out there, but I wouldn't want anything heavier when I move it around. I get over 30 hrs run time. I'm using a Shurflo 4008 battery powered pump.
Dave

Earthman
12-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Biz and Clinkis- You guys rock! Thank you both.

Mike

Earthman
12-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Hi all- Just another quick question....If I have my set up on 5/16 tubing using the Shurflo (about 40 taps total) and then want to connect a 3/16 tubing manifold to the system to catch another 25-30 taps using 3/16 tubing (I have a bunch of 3/16 tubing) would that be advisable?

Thanks as always for any and all input.

Mike

jmayerl
12-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Vacuum is pulled at the pump, if you put some sort of manifold there it would be fine.

Earthman
12-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Thank you for your response. I didn't know if it mattered having both 5/16 and 3/16 tubing setups on the entire system. Like I said, I have a bunch of 3/16 tubing and want to use it up.

Thanks again,

Mike

Super Sapper
12-31-2016, 03:01 PM
I have both 3/16 and 5/16 on my systems and they work well.

maplestudent
01-06-2017, 09:32 AM
this is the setup I used last year. I use all 5/16 tubing. I have 2 main runs: one has about 900' (including side runs and offshoots) of tubing with 32 taps, the other has about 2100' of tubing (including side runs and offshoots) with 57 taps. the 2100' run slopes at barely 2% for most of its distance. The runs meet at this tree at about a 90 degree angle (note the blue T fittings are dead ends, so the sap does not run around the tree). the slide fittings allow tightening. I realize I don't have the most efficient tubing setup....it sure beats collecting by hand though and I get way more sap.

Anyways the two runs are connected to the pvc manifold. the valves allow me to isolate either run if I think there are leaks. the 3rd value is used to 'prime' the vacuum....these pumps seem to create vacuum better when they are actually pumping liquid, so I recirculate some already-collected sap through this value to prime it.

I use a 12v 4008 pump. I run a 100' extension cord to the wood box, and power the pump using a 2 amp transformer that used to go to a cable TV box (thank you Comcast). I plug in the lamp when outside temps are dropping below freezing, and the 40w bulb has worked well to keep things in the box from freezing even on really cold nights. I have used this pump for 2 seasons with no problems so far, but I really try to make sure it never freezes.