PDA

View Full Version : Isolating non-producing tree from tubing system

mspina14
12-23-2016, 09:47 AM
I'm a hobbyist that will be installing tubing for the first time this season.

I will be running 5/16" tubing from a Lunchbox diaphragm pump to about 100 Reds on 5 acres. The Reds are between 10"-40" in diameter. I've tried tapping a few of the Reds in the past with buckets, but never got more than a quarter bucket in a season. I'm hoping they will run on vacuum.

I will run about 4-5 lines from the Lunchbox. Each 5/16' line will have about 15-25 taps over a 200'-500' distance with little to no slope. I'd have a 5/16" tap and drop line connected from each tree to the 5/16" line via the traditional "T" connector.

I was thinking in the shower this morning (always think about maple sugaring in the shower, not a good sign ;)) what to do if any of the Reds that are connected to the 5/16" line don't flow sap for some reason.

How would I isolate that tree from the 5/16" line it is connected to? Do I need to remove the "T" from the line and install a straight connector? I don't want to lose vacuum on a tree that doesn't run. I'm using a "T" that has a plug to hold the tap in the off season. But not sure if this plug would leak with the tap connected to it with the vacuum running.

Is there such a thing as a "plug" to place into a tap for a non-flowing tree to prevent vacuum loss?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Woodsrover
12-23-2016, 09:51 AM
With a pipeline, its going to be hard to tell which trees are good producers and which are not.

tcross
12-23-2016, 10:39 AM
I don't think you'll get a whole lot of vacuum with a 5/16" "main line". but as far as isolating off the a non productive tree... I have a couple dying trees I just left the drop line plugged into the "t" and didn't loose vacuum. or just leave it in the none productive tree. as long as the tree isn't hollow you should be ok. or as you mentioned, put a straight connector in.

Wanabe1972
12-23-2016, 11:11 AM
I had a section of trees that were 90 percent reds and we're set up on gravity main lines. They didn't run for crap. They may have ran a quart a day . I added vacuum the next year and get better than a gallon a day most runs. The reds are stubborn some times and need a little help. As far as producing trees I'm not sure how you would tell with tubing. If the tree looks healthy and the wood drills clean You should get SAP. As far as not getting vacuum through a 5/16 mainline I hear this all the time yet I have 3 different lines 5/16 roughly 200 to 300 feet each with 16 taps on one 35 and 40 on the other two. They run on aquatech pumps and have 18 to 24 inches of vacuum at the end tap most all the time. They also produce 1 to 1 plus gallons of SAP per day. This is not an ideal setup but it works. Jeff

Mitchell tapper.
12-23-2016, 03:15 PM
I also run a small diaphragm pump on 22 taps on 3/16 with about 20' drop. All sugars except one is a red. Later in the season I noticed the pump drawing air and it was the red that had quit running and had started budding. I just cut the line and plugged in an end of line plug. It had good sap flow up to that point. I have only been at this a few years but that red always quits a couple weeks before the sugars.

mspina14
12-23-2016, 04:31 PM
I also run a small diaphragm pump on 22 taps on 3/16 with about 20' drop. All sugars except one is a red. Later in the season I noticed the pump drawing air and it was the red that had quit running and had started budding. I just cut the line and plugged in an end of line plug. It had good sap flow up to that point. I have only been at this a few years but that red always quits a couple weeks before the sugars.

Thanks Mitchell.

Where does one find an "end of line plug"?

Mark

Mitchell tapper.
12-24-2016, 05:20 AM
I guess it's called "end of line hook". Purchased mine at Bascom. They make them for 3/16 and 5/16 tubing.

wiam
12-24-2016, 07:22 AM
If you are using "plug" T's just put the spout on the T. It will
hold vacuum. Way simpler than changing a fitting.

mspina14
12-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Great. Thanks William.

Mark

Mitchell tapper.
12-24-2016, 02:54 PM
I didn't realize plugging into the tee would hold vacuum. Thanks William.