PDA

View Full Version : sight glass

lyford
12-21-2016, 09:53 AM
This will be my first year cooking with a "real" evaporator. We upgraded from a 2x3 flat pan on a barrel to a 2x4 hybrid pan with a homemade arch. My question is, would I be better off adding a sight glass to the float box or is this really not needed. Not sure if most people use 'em or not. Thanks for any input.

maple flats
12-21-2016, 11:11 AM
A sight glass is real nice, but not absolutely necessary.

wiam
12-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Does your float box have 2 sections? If it only has one the level in the glass will fluctuate with flow. When I went to a 3x12 I added a site glass to the float of and decided I did not need it there as I could see in the float box to see the level. I did add one up next to where the sap goes into the front pan which is helpful.

maple flats
12-21-2016, 03:54 PM
My flue pan has a sight level glass on the side of the pan, showing the level in the pan. That is where it is most important, and it will give a more accurate reading there, in the float box, you can see and besides, a glass there would jump up and down in the tube.

Bruce L
12-21-2016, 04:47 PM
As Dave said ,a sight glass in the side of the flue pan is most accurate. I have the green frog tape on mine at the "burn level" where the crimps would be dry if the pan were not boiling well. A quick glance and I know as long as the sap is above the tape I am good to go.