PDA

View Full Version : Remote Monitoring at the sugar orchard!

sugaringman85
12-18-2016, 02:02 PM
I know this topic has come up numerous times over the years. Since moving to high vacuum, it has been annoying having to go check my orchard 4-8 times a day. My orchard is 10 min away from my house and farm. I've looking into monitoring systems with Maple Expert Solutions, but the only systems they have are in the woods systems. I am looking for a simple webcam type set up that will allow me to check my phone and see what my sap level in the tank is, what the vacuum pressure is at and what the temp is at the tank. It would save me countless hours running back and forth to the remote orchard. Is there anyone else out there with the same situation that has solved this problem? Any help would be great

mike103
12-18-2016, 04:23 PM
One idea that quickly comes to mind would be a Cellular game camera pointed at your gauges. You could also set up several security cameras where you need them, consolidate at a small dvr with a Cellular router/wireless card. Of course besides initial set up cost you have a cell subscription added to your service depending on your location, adequate signal strength and so on. My guess would be around $ 400 up front for the game cam or video setup, and the persistant $15 to 20$ monthly cell subscription. Btw, if you have some kind of internet service at your orchard, you are halfway there....

pipeline
12-18-2016, 07:30 PM
we use smart trak by h2o monitors vac on each main just bought tank level sensers and switches to shut down generator 6 miles away from sugarhouse going to save alot running around. We had monitors in two woods last year saved alot of time new where to go for leaks

PerryFamily
12-18-2016, 08:43 PM
I was hoping to do something similar with a decent camera hooked to wifi. I only really need to see tank level , vac gauge and maybe the side of inlet manifold to see flow.
One of my pump houses has a good wifi signal from the landowners shop. The other isn't close enough to a signal so I'm not sure how to handle that one

sugaringman85
12-19-2016, 05:04 PM
we use smart trak by h2o monitors vac on each main just bought tank level sensers and switches to shut down generator 6 miles away from sugarhouse going to save alot running around. We had monitors in two woods last year saved alot of time new where to go for leaks

I looked up smart trak by h2o and didn't get any results. I may have been looking in the wrong spot. Any help?

Brian
12-19-2016, 05:33 PM
http://www.smartrektechnologies.com/home_en/index.php I am going to try this system in one woods and put one single at the releaser at the other woods and see what happens. I fit works as good as I think, iwill add on next year

i

Jason Gagne
12-19-2016, 06:37 PM
I have used for many years a D-link wireless camera with a Verizon hotspot. The system took 15 minutes to install (if you follow the instructions)( you will need a smart phone or laptop for the initial install to set up the camera). The camera talks directly to the hotspot. I placed one looking at the vacuum pump, one at the releases and one at the tank. To view the camera you just go to a d-link web portal, or they make a free app for your smart phone, very simply. The woods are monitored using a Taptrack remote vacuum monitoring system.

wiam
12-19-2016, 08:09 PM
I bought this camera http://m.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-Wireless-HD-720P-P2P-IP-Camera-Night-Vision-CCTV-Home-Security-Network-Cam-/351737886723?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253 DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2 526meid%253Dbe58342278144a349908373e5ed499aa%2526p id%253D100408%2526rk%253D2%2526rkt%253D25%2526sd%2 53D142103929747&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460 and tried it with a straighttalk hotspot. Worked where my releaser is. Hoping to see releaser, vac gauge, tank level and thermometer.

wiam
12-19-2016, 08:11 PM
I have used for many years a D-link wireless camera with a Verizon hotspot. The system took 15 minutes to install (if you follow the instructions)( you will need a smart phone or laptop for the initial install to set up the camera). The camera talks directly to the hotspot. I placed one looking at the vacuum pump, one at the releases and one at the tank. To view the camera you just go to a d-link web portal, or they make a free app for your smart phone, very simply. The woods are monitored using a Taptrack remote vacuum monitoring system.

Jason, do you know how much data you use for the season on the hotspot?

Jason Gagne
12-20-2016, 04:31 AM
For the last three years the average was a additional 2 gigabytes of data during the sugaring season($25 extra). Verizon's charges me $20 for the hotspot per month and I am allowed to start and stop the service at will because I bought the hotspot initially and still maintain a cell phone plan annually.

wiam
12-20-2016, 07:20 AM
For the last three years the average was a additional 2 gigabytes of data during the sugaring season($25 extra). Verizon's charges me $20 for the hotspot per month and I am allowed to start and stop the service at will because I bought the hotspot initially and still maintain a cell phone plan annually.

Thanks Jason

PerryFamily
12-20-2016, 07:53 AM

Forgive me for my lack of technology knowledge

Will the hot spot work where there is zero cell service?

What is needed for the hot spot ? A 110 outlet to plug it in?

I ask because where I can't get a wifi signal there is also zero cell service, like zero, nothing but battery draining zero

mellondome
12-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Service is needed for a hot spot to work.

wiam
12-20-2016, 11:16 AM
My straight talk hotspot has an internal battery. Guessing it won't last too long. It charges with a micro usb so I'm hoping I can use a deep cycle to power that and the cam. But you do need cell.

berkshires
12-20-2016, 01:51 PM
I ask because where I can't get a wifi signal there is also zero cell service, like zero, nothing but battery draining zero

What service? You probably know this already, but some providers have much wider coverage. My regular cell phone is with Sprint, and there is zero signal at my sugarbush in the Berkshires. But there is AT&T coverage, so I pay for a few months a year to get AT&T service there. Then I also had to buy a device from AT&T to turn the signal into wifi. It was kind of a pain to set up, but it works great.

K.I. Joe
12-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Can someone explain exactly what and how this is working for a computer dummy. Does the hot spot send the video to your phone?

PerryFamily
12-20-2016, 04:05 PM
What service? You probably know this already, but some providers have much wider coverage. My regular cell phone is with Sprint, and there is zero signal at my sugarbush in the Berkshires. But there is AT&T coverage, so I pay for a few months a year to get AT&T service there. Then I also had to buy a device from AT&T to turn the signal into wifi. It was kind of a pain to set up, but it works great.

So I have US Cellular for a phone provider. However the landowner, From Boston MA can receive calls on his phone at the house which is within sight from my pump shed but quite a bit up hill and very open compared to the hole the pump house I located in. I will ask what service that he has.

wiam
12-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Can someone explain exactly what and how this is working for a computer dummy. Does the hot spot send the video to your phone?

Hot spot turns cell phone service into wifi. This will connect to the camera and you can see live video anywhere you have Internet. If it is somewhere you already have wifi you don't need the hotspot. You can do just wifi if your phone and the camera are connected to the same router.

K.I. Joe
12-21-2016, 04:22 AM
So you need to keep your phone at the pumphouse. I have a router at the house, the pump house is 1800 feet away down a hill. It has cell service but no power. I would love to have a couple of cams looking at the tank and releaser. Is this doable. Would I have to leave my phone at the pump house? Sorry for being so uneducated about this.

wiam
12-21-2016, 05:19 AM
So you need to keep your phone at the pumphouse. I have a router at the house, the pump house is 1800 feet away down a hill. It has cell service but no power. I would love to have a couple of cams looking at the tank and releaser. Is this doable. Would I have to leave my phone at the pump house? Sorry for being so uneducated about this.

No cell phone needed at the camera. The hotspot turns the cell signal to wifi. The hotspot and camera will need power. I plan on doing this with a deep cycle battery with sub chargers.

sugaringman85
12-21-2016, 05:21 AM

Jason, Now that seems like a more economical solution. Was looking at the H2O innovations monitoring system and the base price was $1050 or something like that. Looks like I can buy a couple of these cameras and a verizon hotspot and be up and running with $150-$200 bucks.

Wanabe1972
12-21-2016, 05:10 PM
I am going to try a camera this year that hopefully will be able to see SAP coming into the releaser, the vacuum gauge and the tank level all at the same time. It is supposed to have a 5000 foot wireless range and I'm only 1500 feet from the tank to my house. I'm going to be working nights most of the sugar season and I cant check on everything every couple hours like in the past. I guess my age is catching up to me. It will be much easier to glance at a monitor and know everything g is running. Jeff

wiam
12-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Camera I got was only $20.

Wanabe1972
12-21-2016, 08:16 PM
I wish there was wifi at the farm where my tank is as it would be so much easier.

wiam
12-22-2016, 05:17 AM
I wish there was wifi at the farm where my tank is as it would be so much easier.

If there is cell service you can make wifi.

BAP
12-22-2016, 05:33 AM
If there is cell service you can make wifi.
I wish there was cell service or wifi. Around here, where there is good sugar lots there is usually poor to no cell service.

unc23win
12-22-2016, 09:42 AM
I am going to try a camera this year that hopefully will be able to see SAP coming into the releaser, the vacuum gauge and the tank level all at the same time. It is supposed to have a 5000 foot wireless range and I'm only 1500 feet from the tank to my house. I'm going to be working nights most of the sugar season and I cant check on everything every couple hours like in the past. I guess my age is catching up to me. It will be much easier to glance at a monitor and know everything g is running. Jeff

What's the brand and model info?

wiam
12-22-2016, 10:24 AM
What's the brand and model info?

There is a link to the one I got in an earlier comment of mine.

unc23win
12-22-2016, 01:13 PM
I bought this camera http://m.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-Wireless-HD-720P-P2P-IP-Camera-Night-Vision-CCTV-Home-Security-Network-Cam-/351737886723?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253 DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2 526meid%253Dbe58342278144a349908373e5ed499aa%2526p id%253D100408%2526rk%253D2%2526rkt%253D25%2526sd%2 53D142103929747&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

What is the range of that one? A few of them I looked at don't say the range.

Wanabe1972
12-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Jared I have not made up my mind yet as to what camera. I still need to do some research . There are two routes I can take for my operation. The first option is a dedicated long range camera to a base receiver and monitor. This is quick and easy pretty much point it where you want and plug in the power plug. The other way is normal wired camera and monitor with a long range transmitter and receiver that the camera and monitor plug into. I'm leaning toward the latter because I can add several cameras to one monitor. I'm thinking this way I can put a camera on the RO so that can also be monitored from my bedroom while I'm sleeping days as I work 7pm to 7 am. I never sleep well during sugar season so I'm up alot but at least I can see what's going on and don't have to get out of bed unless something is not right. Jeff

wiam
12-22-2016, 02:46 PM
What is the range of that one? A few of them I looked at don't say the range.

I think it is more what is the range of your wifi.

Wanabe1972
12-22-2016, 05:03 PM
What is the range of that one? A few of them I looked at don't say the range.. This camera looks perfect for my RO as my sugar house is only 50 feet from my house and I have good wifi there.

sugaringman85
12-23-2016, 05:00 AM
Looks like I've found the answer to my question. A hot spot with some wifi cameras. Way cheaper than some of the systems maple companies want. Hopefully it will work and I can be sitting on the couch and check my tanks and vacuum at 9pm without having to drive to the orchard. Thanks for all the help!

OldManMaple
03-06-2017, 09:09 AM
For anyone using a straight talk hot spot for monitoring your cameras, what service plan do you use? As in how many minutes,unlimited, etc. Thanks

wiam
03-06-2017, 09:28 AM
I have Straight Talk Z291DL ZTE 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot. This colder weather it keeps shutting down, but no sap running at 0 degrees.i have it plugged into a lighter adapter hooked to a deep cycle battery. I got the 4 gig plan. Hoping that will finish sugaring.

OldManMaple
03-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks, I have to heat my sap shack anyways

Sugarmaker
03-06-2017, 11:38 AM
I am old school. I do understand the need for monitoring systems. In this high tech age sounds like you found a electronic solution! Old school might be to just get a tank/tanks big enough to hold 4 gallons of sap per tap per day. That might take care of the capacity issue. I know that's not cheap for tanks but you get all the sap.
Regards,
Chris

wiam
03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
I am old school. I do understand the need for monitoring systems. In this high tech age sounds like you found a electronic solution! Old school might be to just get a tank/tanks big enough to hold 4 gallons of sap per tap per day. That might take care of the capacity issue. I know that's not cheap for tanks but you get all the sap.
Regards,
Chris

With this camera I can see if the sap is running right now. I can monitor vacuum level and temperature at my tank. I can also see how full tank is. A bigger tank would not do that. I have a 5 minute four wheeler ride each way to my tank. The other day when it was pouring I looked at my phone and could tell when I neede to go pump sap. It is all about time.

DaveB
03-06-2017, 04:16 PM
This year I setup a camera on a bucket near my sugarhouse so I could monitor if & how much the sap is flowing. I know how many taps I have on different tanks so it helps me gauge how full they are. I plan on expanding it next year but this is working for me. I even stream it live on YouTube so anyone can tune in and see how the sap is flowing:

https://www.youtube.com/balsamwoods/live

The WiFi camera is connected to a WiFi Repeater that picks up a signal about 250' away where there is Internet available but the repeater makes the signal stronger at the camera side. Because of the distance I do have bandwidth issues every once and a while and the stream stops but it seems to work most of the time.

For the live stream I have a Raspberry Pi that I configured to take the stream from the camera and send it to YouTube. That's not needed but there is an app that most IP cameras can use that allow you to see what's happening.