PDA

View Full Version : What's the lated on Maple Guys Maple Jet Filter Press

Dennis McGill
12-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Wondering if there is any newer thoughts on the Maple Guys Maple Jet Filter Press. What I read in a previous posts has me a little concerned. I'd like get it because of price, and the fact that I'll only be filtering 20 to 30 gallons.

Calycanthus
12-17-2016, 07:45 AM
I have one, and really like it. Like you, my sweet spot is around 30 gallons, and spending the $$ for a 10" or larger with a pump just doesn't make much sense.

Here's what I know: Filter as close to bottling temp as you can. Makes a certain amount of sense: warmer syrup flows easier. Line up the papers and the press frames as best you can when assembling. And I'm willing to bet that everyone has, at least once, put in filter paper upside down or backward. You make the mistake, you figure it out, and the sun still rises in the morning. Warm syrup, use filter aid, line up the press frames, keep an eye on the pressure, recirculate until you are satisfied it's running clear for however you are bottling. If you are bottling in plastic, you have more room for forgiveness than if you are bottling in glass.

Is it perfect? Nope. Does it beat what I tried to do before? No question. The price was attractive. After that, you just have to learn how to use the equipment you have. Alas, that has been the story of my life.

wiam
12-17-2016, 10:43 AM
I have one, and really like it. Like you, my sweet spot is around 30 gallons, and spending the $$ for a 10" or larger with a pump just doesn't make much sense.

Here's what I know: Filter as close to bottling temp as you can. Makes a certain amount of sense: warmer syrup flows easier. Line up the papers and the press frames as best you can when assembling. And I'm willing to bet that everyone has, at least once, put in filter paper upside down or backward. You make the mistake, you figure it out, and the sun still rises in the morning. Warm syrup, use filter aid, line up the press frames, keep an eye on the pressure, recirculate until you are satisfied it's running clear for however you are bottling. If you are bottling in plastic, you have more room for forgiveness than if you are bottling in glass.

Is it perfect? Nope. Does it beat what I tried to do before? No question. The price was attractive. After that, you just have to learn how to use the equipment you have. Alas, that has been the story of my life.

Are you saying it is ok to put dirty syrup in plastic because you can't see it?? We should all be doing our best to make a premium product here.

motowbrowne
12-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Are you saying it is ok to put dirty syrup in plastic because you can't see it?? We should all be doing our best to make a premium product here.

I don't think he said anything at all about "dirty syrup"...

He's right, the only chance anyone has to see how well filtered the syrup is (unless you're using one of them lady-shavers to check light transmission) is if it's in a glass jar. Once you pour it on pancakes you don't get much of an idea of how well filtered it is.

I don't think that "less filtered" syrup is a bad product. We filter through flannel pre filters and Orlon finish filters. I think it looks great. I've bought syrup that had been filter pressed that looked fine on pancakes, but wasn't as clear in the bottle (same sized bottle, image looking through the syrup was not as sharp). In my mind I never questioned the quality, and I didn't have any customers comment on it. In glass, you have the opportunity to check how clear it is. In plastic, you don't.

Question for you if you're bottling on plastic. How do you know how far from "dirty" your syrup is? Do you trust the press, or do you fill some glass to be sure?

wiam
12-17-2016, 07:59 PM
He said it does not need to be filtered as good to go in plastic. If the syrup is not filtered enough to go in glass it is not filtered well enough.

Super Sapper
12-18-2016, 07:54 AM
I don't think anyone is advocating selling "dirty" syrup. We should all strive to make the best product we can. If syrup is a little cloudy due to some niter you can't hide that with glass but it is still just as healthy to consume. I have seen the layer of niter on the bottom of some plastic so it does happen. I prefer glass as I can let the customer see what they are getting.

motowbrowne
12-18-2016, 09:23 AM
He said it does not need to be filtered as good to go in plastic. If the syrup is not filtered enough to go in glass it is not filtered well enough.

And I'm saying there's a big range of syrup that's "filtered good enough". Just because it's not the absolute cleanest syrup you've ever made doesn't mean it's dirty.

wiam
12-18-2016, 10:11 AM
And I'm saying there's a big range of syrup that's "filtered good enough". Just because it's not the absolute cleanest syrup you've ever made doesn't mean it's dirty.
And I'm saying if I bought a container of syrup and found a layer of something on the bottom I would tell all my friends where I got it.

motowbrowne
12-18-2016, 10:59 AM
And I'm saying if I bought a container of syrup and found a layer of something on the bottom I would tell all my friends where I got it.

That's just fine by me, not that it matters.

The guy makes 30 gallons of syrup in a year. He didn't say anything about dirty syrup.

wiam
12-18-2016, 01:24 PM
That's just fine by me, not that it matters.

The guy makes 30 gallons of syrup in a year. He didn't say anything about dirty syrup.

If it is not clear then it is dirty.

motowbrowne
12-18-2016, 02:37 PM

How clear is clear?????

motowbrowne
12-18-2016, 02:41 PM

I'm not going to ruin another thread in the same manner that we have wrecked this one, but in the thread about of flavored syrup that you just responded to, you mention making sugar with syrup if the flavor isn't "too bad". You also mentioned pooling it and selling it bulk.

I thought you were advocating making the best product possible. To me, producing off flavored syrup doesn't meet those criteria.

I'd much rather have darned good tasting syrup that isn't the clearest I've ever seen than clear syrup that tastes off.