PDA

View Full Version : Time For a Tapping 2017 Thread?

llew.williams
12-15-2016, 08:55 AM
I don't know about you but I am looking forward to tapping in 2017.
I've been studying long range forecasts.
I'm in Monongalia County.
Thinking about tapping January 7 or 14.
Earlier than ever before. Feel like I missed a lot in January last year with warm temps.
Got a new vacuum system with Harbor Freight pump and old trusty Bender releaser.
Can't wait to try it out.
Happy Holidays.

220 maple
12-15-2016, 10:37 PM
I have video of one of my trees dripping from sap sucker bird damage Tuesday of this week! Hope to tap mid January myself if I can get everything ready, my location east of the mountains allow me to go early if I want to, usually not ready, need to open every tap this year got a new to me 500 gallon an hour RO, it needs to be drowned in sap. Should be right around 4000 taps if I get everyone open.
Mark 220 Maple

wvsugarshak
12-21-2016, 06:58 AM
Hey Mark sorry I missed the workshop earlier this month how did it go?

Good luck with the new RO Hope i am to busy to get done and see it in action. Yeah couple weeks away and i Still have a new pump house to build before I get going here. well best of luck Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow Sugarmakers

WV sugarshak

220 maple
01-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Jack, you tap after the hard freeze, I'm not quite ready, but prefer drilling frozen trees. Your helper playing basketball this season? I missed the Vikings vs Indians game last week. Did hear we won the Varsity contest!
Have a second cousin playing, I usually try to attend a game or two each season just to support the relatives if possible
Mark 220 Maple

wvsugarshak
01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
hey Mark yes my helper is playing ball this year she score 23 points the other night. As for sugarseason just waiting on the weather. My extended forecast says once i get passed Thursday should be sugar weather till April I can only hope. Hey Why tap a frozen tree. aren't unfrozen less likely to spit and leak just asking hoping to learn something. Hope to bring a new sugarmaker down your way to see the camps at he Highland festival. Well be safe and i hope you get flooded out with sap for your new RO

Wvsugarshak

220 maple
01-29-2017, 07:19 PM
JACK,
Reason I prefer to drill frozen trees, good sharp bit cuts a smoother hole, plus battery seem to last longer, but the main reason I can take more time at each tree because they are not running, when I'm drilling and the trees are running I can't get to the next tree fast enough, when I drill a bush that is frozen, they all start at the same time!

Mark 220 maple

dads syrup
02-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Tapped in Upshur county 26 buckets pulled 43 gallons yesterday and 70 gallons today. Looking forward to a great season.

Greenthumb
02-05-2017, 01:43 PM
My kid is in her first year at wvwc in Buckhannon. We are from michigan wondered if you guys did syrup down there see a lot of maple trees. Does everyone use tubing there. Collecting would be tough on buckets.

dads syrup
02-05-2017, 02:15 PM
We use 50 -60 taps on buckets homemade arch there is a few folks close by that use tubing. Gathering not to bad I can get a 4 wheeler next to the trees. We make 16-18 gallons a year.

WVKeith
02-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Put in 370 taps on 3/16 today. Sap flowing a bit as the day warmed. Here we go.

Keith

WVKeith
02-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Hauled 450 gallons of sap today. RO and boiled. No syrup yet, but close.

Keith