PDA

View Full Version : Organic maple

Gone Maple
12-14-2016, 04:01 PM
I have questions that I need answered about organic maple. If I follow the tree size sunflower oil in dripper , and no fertilizer in the woods is that organic. Sap is sap and boiling is boiling and a 100% all stainless steel evaporator welded. Is that not organic. I can't justify a paper trail and more money for a sertifiation. But why can't I call my syrup organic but just not sertifiaed organic

psparr
12-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Cause the government wants their share.

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-14-2016, 05:07 PM
There's a lot of discussion on here about it and what it takes to be organic. While it would be viewed negatively, in all reality you probably could label your syrup organic but it won't be certified organic as you point out. There is extra paid by packers for certified organic but you have to be big enough to justify the cost. The 5400 tap operation we help used to be a member of MOFGA and certified. He got tired of the paperwork and $700/year bill so isn't any more.....but his syrup is no different.

K.I. Joe
12-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Really disappointed in how expensive it is. Wish it wasn't just another way to get your money but it sure seems like it is

unc23win
12-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Certification comes with an inspection and some paperwork. Basically the paperwork is keeping track of your sales and when and how you clean things. As mentioned packers will pay more if you have a certificate. I think all states have a reimbursement program. I think I paid just shy of $700 and got reimbursed $565. Last season certified organic was .15-.20 a pound more or as much as $90 a drum.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Cause the government wants their share.

The "Government" does not get a share. Certifying agencies are private entities. In fact, most State governments have programs that will reimburse you for part of the cost of certifying.

southfork
12-14-2016, 06:46 PM
A segment of consumers who are willing to pay for "organic foods" and labeling are the drivers of this distinction, not the government. Fortunately no maple producer has to comply with the standards, or spend a dime for organic certification. It is a choice.
Race

lew
12-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Answering specifically what you asked, the answer is no. Your deformed has to be organic sunflower oil, not only can no fertilizer be used in the woods, but also not within a certain distance from the woods. If you jump through all the hoops, which I assume is what you are getting at, then you can call yourself organic. The problem lies in how much you sell as organic. My memory fails me, but I believe the number is anything under $5000 gross sales can call itself organic, anything over calling itself organic needs to jump through all the hoops, do the paper work, inspections, pay the fees etc., then you are certified organic. Don't take the $5000 to be exact, but I believe it is close to that. With 5400 taps I think your making a little more than $5000 a year. If you were to sell your syrup as organic, you may be opening up a hornets nest for yourself. Even though you may be organic without the paperwork.

On another note, if you use diatomaceous earth for filter aid, which most of us do, you can't call your syrup %100 organic, only organic. Even when pay the piper.

WestfordSugarworks
12-14-2016, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't label syrup 'organic' if it isn't certified. Unless you are selling it bulk or to a grocery store or something there wouldn't be any financial incentive for that either, cause retail goes for the same as Organic, in my area at least. Maybe it would help you market it though. Either way, you probably could get away with it on the retail end of things but idk what the consequences would be if you got caught.

Organic goes beyond what you do or don't put in your syrup or what you use for equipment, etc. In VT it means getting a forest plan and managing your woods in certain ways that are meant to ensure forest health (no whole tree harvest, no 4" deep tapholes, etc.). No dumping chemicals down your drain, no mainline and wire from 30 years ago left on the woods. Generally these hoops that one must jump through are in your interest as a forest manager and business owner/sugarmaker, especially considering the $0.20 bonus. We weren't sure about going organic but I convinced my dad that the bulk bonus and increased opportunities for retail and wholesale markets justified the hoops and certification. He's glad we are certified, it's been worth it.

JoeJ
12-15-2016, 05:45 AM
As WestfordSugarWorks said, I would not label, write or say anything about my syrup being "Organic" if I was not actually legally and officially "Organic Certified" no matter how much I sold. The USDA guards the use of "Organic" to make sure that whatever food product is labeled "Organic" meets the rules. Under the "Enforcement Action" section, it is stated "Depending on the nature and scope of violations, enforcement can include financial penalties up to $11,000. per violation".

maple maniac65
12-15-2016, 05:51 AM
My neighbor lists his as Free Range Maple Trees. Yes he got a exclusive rights to this saying.

Sugarmaker
12-15-2016, 07:10 AM
Free Range maple trees! Got to love that!
What we do is make the best syrup and charge a premium price for it. Seems to work for us and everyone seems happy! Nothing like having the folks go "yummm" when they taste it, and then never go back to AJ or MB!
Regards,
Chris

motowbrowne
12-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Regarding calling it organic if it's not certified. You used to be able to do that up until several years ago when the USDA put a halt to that practice. I know because that's how my dad sold vegetables for 30 years prior to that. Now we say "unconventionally grown" on our labels. Like Chris, we make a premium product, charge accordingly, and have lots of satisfied customers.

Another thing we do, although you can't really put it in a label, is tell customers "to the best of our knowledge we are following all of the current organic standards," which is true, and we also then invite anyone at all who is interested in seeing our operation to come for a visit. Obviously as a producer scales up and does not wholesale, this isn't very effective, but it works for us.