PDA

View Full Version : Sugar house build

hitnspit
12-11-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how to get this done. I have a few ideas but would like to run it by you pros.. I have this carport I just put up and thinking about putting roofing tin around it and for roof. I have had this 2 X 6 rig I bought 4 years ago and have not been able to use it yet. I want to get it ready for this upcoming season seeing I now have someone to by sap from. This is what I have so far. My next step will be putting 2x4s around it to attach the metal siding to. Any other ideas will be awesome.
Thanks

Not sure why pics are sideways but I will get this at some point...

wnybassman
12-11-2016, 06:03 PM
I'd be a little cautious of adding too much weight to the structure. It probably wasn't designed to hold much more than a canvas or poly covering.

Wanabe1972
12-11-2016, 08:19 PM
That pan looks more like a syrup pan for a 4x 12 or something or thats one tiny boot.

hitnspit
12-12-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure how the pic of the pan ended up on my post. Had a few problems posting the pics. The pan has nothing to due with the post. Lol

maple flats
12-12-2016, 12:55 PM
If you use that metal structure for the sugarhouse, try to make it sturdier. If you add a cross brace at each of the rafter locations where it attaches to the top of the sides to keep it from spreading it will hold far more weight. That can be a straight length of EMT or even a small diameter (1/8"?) cable or a piece of anything that can be attached or screwed/bolted to the side wall top pipe adds plenty. While I didn't use one as a sugarhouse, I did have a 10' x 20' one set up to protect a stack of lumber being dried. At the first big snow fall it was trashed from the weight, and I had been removing the accumulated snow daily until that. Then in 1 snowfall of maybe 10-12" of heavy wet snow it crashed.