PDA

View Full Version : Is it Over

Jerome
03-24-2007, 06:28 AM
For the next week my weather forcast says that it will not get below freezing but the long range calls for below freezing nights for the two weeks after that.
I still have snow on the ground but it should be gone next week because they are calling for rain. is my season over already? I only have about a quater of what I normally get. Should I leave my taps in in hopes or pull them?

Fred Henderson
03-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Leave your taps in, it has not even started yet.

sawyer40
03-24-2007, 05:36 PM
How do you know when to call it quits. I need 50 gal to boil or it aint worth it. The sap in my tanks turns cloudy before I get enough to boil now. Twice in the last week I got over 400 gal at one time. but now everything has slowed to an occasional drip. The forcast is for the upper 40's- 50's for the next week.

parsissn
03-24-2007, 06:04 PM
We're done for the year. The buds are out on the trees and the last batch we made has a tiny bit of bud flavor. Was an OK year but with the buds out and the temps staying high (was 75 and 45 tonight) we're calling it a season.

Mark

sugarin4fun
03-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm done for this year, pulled my taps today know all thats left is the clean up. We had a big flow the last few days but with these warm nights the trees have stopped. There aren't any cold nights in the forecast so I'm done. Ended up with 14-1/2 gals off of 67 taps, not quite as much as I was hoping for but it's enough. Made alot of notes for things to do next year. Bring on the waffles, blueberry pancakes and homemade Maple Syrup.

danno
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Weather forecast change. Last few days they were forecasting highs in the 60's, low in the 40's for central New York through this week. Now after Monday looks like much cooler temps expected all the way through next weekend. First week of April could be downright cold!

I'm staying tapped!

HanginAround
03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I think it's hasty to quit now. I've heard of many yrs making syrup into the last week of April. Things can change even after a warm spell. We just had the first good run Thursday, and hope things stay well for 2-3 weeks.

ibby458
03-25-2007, 06:25 AM
My opinion is: It's over when the tap holes are black & dry. AS long as Grade B&C have a good market, I'll keep making it.

Last year we had a week of 70 degrees temps, when most people pulled their taps. I made half my year's production after it cooled back down again. It was all B or C, but at $1.40/lb, I'll make it. Supposed to be higher this year, I hear.

Russell Lampron
03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Bruce Bascom is paying at least $1.60 lb. for commercial this year. With the poor season everyone is having it will probably be higher.

Russ

super sappy
03-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I will leave my taps in till tax time.last year I pulled early and lost a rum or two. The price for B should be the same as A I had some people stop today looking for some cooking syrup. 7.50 a pt. for my easter ham glaze. Maybe Ill have chicken instead of ham.-super sappy

archangel_cpj
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
have all reds and no freezing in site were done here

ziggy
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
With what commercial syrup is worth I will not quit until the sap quits running. Right now I am down to picking up about a quart a tap per day, with cooler temps coming next week that should get better. Sap should run for another 10 days or so, it won't taste or smell very good, but it is still syrup and worth good money.