PDA

View Full Version : Majic Number

backyardsugarer
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
With nothing else to do I have taken to making candy. I am getting pretty good at it but was wondering about the temp to pour into the molds at. I get it to 240 easy enough and then stir it until it cools to about 145. It is a little soft. Anyone out there have the perfect temp to pour it into the molds at?

Chris

mapleman3
03-05-2004, 10:36 AM
chris, I have found that the 32-34 deg above water boiling point is too grainy at the high end, I go for 30-32deg. comes out great, also, once you get to that temp, take it off the heat and DONT TOUCH IT not even to move the thermometer. let it sit till it gets to around 180ish then stir till it gets not shiny and lighter in color but not too thick , then pour... you will come to find that consistency you will like to pour at, I like my candy not so grainy, and I found at a the lower temp and stir steady it comes out great.

the other benefit is the house smells wonderfull after!!!!

Brandon showed me how... then I made some with Rick when he was at our place... love the stuff!!!

mapleman9000
03-05-2004, 10:52 AM
I've been told and have practiced the theory that the faster you cool it down, the smaller the sugar crystals will be.

Gerry

mapleman3
03-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Made some great candy this morning before I went out to boil.. needed it for sales!! make sure you use good fresh syrup, Rick syrupmaker and I were talking on the phone today, I was walking him through the process.. he ended up stirring and stirring.. no candy... the invert sugars must have changed through the year... I've heard it can do that but never had it happen. if anyone knows more about invert sugar.. can ya share some tidbits?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Jim,

Tis strange you would bring that up. I read about it in the producers guide, but I always make my candy from any leftover syrup from the previous years. I have made it from syrup 5+ years old.

Have to watch that in the future to see if I run into any problem with that. :?

Sweber
03-14-2004, 07:38 PM
After 5 hours of boiling I got up the courage to attempt maple cream/ I used the recipe from new england recipes.com someone suggested in another forum. Heated about 2 cups of syrup to 235 the slamed it into an ice water bath to cool down to 125. Following the directions i beat it with an electric beater. Here is where it gets a little fuzzy....
The stuff looked like cream but the consistancy was that of, well, almost taffy like. Kind of chewy. When it really cooled, it was somewhat hard and crumbly, just like maple candy.
So what happened? What did I make..
It's alive!!!
I added a little more syrup to it and stirred with a fork untill it was sort of chunky maple cream. Almost spreadable. Tastes **** good though.

mapleman3
03-15-2004, 06:29 AM
sounds like it went to hot, or beat it too fast, slow stedy mixing I believe does it, and it takes awhile, ...