PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws

maple maniac65
12-05-2016, 06:53 PM
What do you sugar makers think of the Jonsered 2166. Tractor supply has a 15% off Sale and I have another coupon for $50.00 which brings the price to 585.00. I really want the Stihl 066 magnum but that runs about 1200. Difference is about 20cc and 615.00

unc23win
12-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I think it's a matter of opinion what brand is better. I would compare the size of the engine then the price. I have 5 Stihls because well I like them. The 660 is a pretty good size saw @ 91cc is bigger than what most people need. My biggest saw is a Stihl 461 and I freaking love it's 72cc. There are plenty of good Stihls for $600 or less I have a 391 and a 311 both are great saws as well. Most saws 30-60cc will handle most any job quite well.

The biggest thing about chain saws is the chains get professional chains which in Stihl are yellow labels. The box stores Tractor Supply included don't sell professional grade chains there is a huge difference. It's amazing how much faster and better cutting a saw is with pro grade chain. I get most of my chains on eBay there are always good deals.

Bucket Head
12-05-2016, 09:15 PM
I have no experience with Jonsered- only Stihl, and have no reason to consider another make. My concern is purchasing a power tool from a chain store. As discussed here many times before, power equipment from the chain stores is NOT the same quality as the same piece sold at the dealer. They "cheapen" them up so the price is more appealing to the homeowner that is shopping for them.
Maybe Tractor Supply is different than the big box stores but I'd look into it before I forked over the cash for it.
Steve

motowbrowne
12-05-2016, 09:17 PM
What are you using it for?

The 2266 is the same as the Husky 365XT, which is basically the same saw as the 372XT. As I understand it, a little grinding can make it a 372. The 372 is a great saw. $585 seems to be good price.

For most users, a 70cc saw will be more than they ever need. If it's going to be your only saw, anything bigger would not only be overkill, but unnecessarily heavy and awkward. If you're also planning on (or already do) owning a few other saws, then a big boy (80cc+) is a fun thing to have, and makes bucking tasks that previously would be taxing to a smaller saw a very enjoyable saw.

I own a Stihl 460 (76cc) and a 660 (92cc). They are both great saws. If i could only have one, it'd be the 460. Honestly in wood up to 24" the 460 isn't much behind the 660. Also, I bought both lightly used. I paid $600 for the 460 and $700 for the 660 which had just been professionally ported. It's worth considering used saws.

motowbrowne
12-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I have no experience with Jonsered- only Stihl, and have no reason to consider another make. My concern is purchasing a power tool from a chain store. As discussed here many times before, power equipment from the chain stores is NOT the same quality as the same piece sold at the dealer. They "cheapen" them up so the price is more appealing to the homeowner that is shopping for them.
Maybe Tractor Supply is different than the big box stores but I'd look into it before I forked over the cash for it.
Steve

The saws sold at box stores are the same saws sold anywhere else. Assuming the model numbers are the same, that is. There's not 2 different Jonsered 2266s.

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-06-2016, 06:04 AM
What are you using the saw for? Big difference between cutting trees down, cutting up firewood in a pile and lugging a saw through the woods to remove downed trees in the bush. Case in point, I hate cutting trees down but when I have to I will use Gramps' 72cc Jonsered. No way I want to use it when cutting up firewood and I sure as hell don't want to lug the tank through the woods but boy does that saw throttle through a tree. I use my 59cc Stihl MS 311 with a 18" pro bar and chain setup in the wood pile then a smaller Stihl with 16" bar in the woods Having run Stihls and Jonsereds, I prefer Stihls but this is like any discussion on brand preference.....you'll get all kinds of opinions. A saw 55-65cc is a good all around saw. It will cut trees down but is not as heavy and not overpowering like a bigger saw can be. That 066 magnum is a top of the line pro saw and a real nice large displacement saw. Look at the Stihl MS 291, MS 311 or MS 391 with a pro bar/chain setup to save some $$$ and it will do what you need it to.
In regards to Stihl chains, the yellow are pro chains or chisel chains as stated above. The stock chains on the non-pro saws are green labeled and known as safety chains. The pro setups have a lot more kickback than the safety chain setup. They also will require more frequent sharpening but they do cut much better as they are designed to.

motowbrowne
12-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Just to clarify, yellow labeled chains (pro, non-safety, etc) are available in full chisel and semi chisel. Stihl called them RM and RS respectively. Also, they can be run on a green labeled (reduced kickback) bar. The difference in bars is the radius of the nose sprocket. A smaller tip has a smaller kickback-producing area. As long at the pitch and gauge are correct and the loop has the right number of driver links, you can run whatever chain you want in a reduced kickback bar.

Full chisel chain is faster, but dulls faster in dirty wood. I use both, but keep semi chisel on saws that are skidded or dirty logs. Semi is a little easier to sharper also. More forgiving anyway. Also, safety chain (no such thing really, just reduced danger) can cut just fine too. On long bars 28"+, the safety features can cause problems with chip clearance. The problem is that it takes longer to lower the rakers (depth gauges) because of the additional metal. Now, there has been some real garbage safety chain, but nowadays it's mostly pretty good stuff. In fact, in 3/8 lo profile aka picco, Stihl PS3 (green label) is said to be considerable faster than Stihl PS (yellow label). Other than the safety features, the chain is the same, both full chisel. If you can't get it sharp, it's not because it's safety chain...

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-06-2016, 09:01 AM
motow, thanks for clarifying. I did not realize the safety bar could be used with the chisel chains and edited my post. That is contradictory to what I was told when I went in search of a different chain to replace the stock safety chain I had on my MS 311.

motowbrowne
12-06-2016, 02:34 PM
motow, thanks for clarifying. I did not realize the safety bar could be used with the chisel chains and edited my post. That is contradictory to what I was told when I went in search of a different chain to replace the stock safety chain I had on my MS 311.

No worries. Honestly I've spent way too much time figuring out chains and and chain types etc. I think it's really stupid how many different pitches, gauges, cutter types, safety features, etc are available. I know options are a good thing, but each manufacturer has to and put their own model name on each individual different variation. It's one thing to figure out that you need a 72 driver loop of 3/8 pitch (not 3/8 low profile mind you), .063 gauge chain without bumper links with a semi chisel type cutter. Then you've got to figure out what each manufacturer calls that exact model and double check that the measurements all match. Then you gotta figure out where to buy the stuff.

morningstarfarm
12-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Stay away from the jonsered saws at tractor supply..I went through 3 of them in a month...the pull start gearing is plastic and strips out...finally gave up and bought a stihl at a pawn shop and fell in love with it....just my .02...

Shaun
12-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I just bought a stihl ms 250 for 300 dollars on sale because my new husky 562xp was in the shop. Bang for buck the ms 250 is great little saw which would make most people happy. Sharp chain 18 inch bar and you can run it all day. I cut down a 27 inch pine for my mill with well over 500 board foot sawed from it. The 562xp is nice but not much good when the auto tune does not tune.

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Stay away from the jonsered saws at tractor supply..I went through 3 of them in a month...the pull start gearing is plastic and strips out...finally gave up and bought a stihl at a pawn shop and fell in love with it....just my .02...

Based on the reviews on the tractor supply site, I'd say this is good advice.

Bucket Head
12-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks and buying a well-maintained saw. My current Stihl was used and is a great unit.

I know an awful lot of folks who ended up being very unhappy with their power equipment purchases from the big box stores.

unc23win
12-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I know an awful lot of folks who ended up being very unhappy with their power equipment purchases from the big box stores.

Not only that, but if you have trouble and need it tuned or parts you'll have to go to a dealer most likely and they won't treat you as well as they would if you would have bought it from them in the first place. Heck dealers are usually small business owners and they might match Tractor Supply. Either way I'd rather support them.

maple flats
12-07-2016, 09:03 AM
While used saws can be a great buy, beware. I've been a Husky saw guy from about 12 years, and have 3 in different sizes ranging from a 543XP (wearing a 16" bar, 2015)to a 359 (wearing a 20" bar, 2004) and a 365 with both a 28" and a big 34" bar (the 34" uses skip tooth chain 2012). I have had them, used them hard (besides cutting 15-20 cord each year I have a sawmill and cut some of my own logs, cut for others for the logs and buy the rest). In all this time I've had no issues with these saws. Back in 2006 my wife found a used Husky that looked to be in good condition. The seller said he had only used it to drop and cut up 5 trees behind his newer home and no longer needed a saw. We bought it for $200 (I don't recall the model number, but it was slightly smaller than my 359 and some lighter and it ran at a little faster rpm). That saw was a bad buy, I had to put money into it for 2 years before I finally just traded it in towards a Stihl 4 Mix gas trimmer I needed to use in my blueberry fields (4.5 acres). It seems the first owner must have used poor quality motor oil for his mix oil and the bore was scored, among other issues, all related to not properly using and maintaining the saw.
I have heard of several others who have gotten good buys on used saws and a few who didn't, buy personally I'll only buy a quality saw from a reputable dealer who does in house service.
At my dealer who also has contracts to do warranty work on Jonsered, Husky and Stihl and maybe others, I was there once when an item, bought elsewhere, was brought in for service. After that customer left he told his help to put it in the bin where items bought elsewhere were held. I commented and he said that he only repairs those item after any bought from him were finished. He had 2 waiting lists, priority for his customers, followed by customers who had bought from others such as Home Depot, Lowes and TSC.

buckeye gold
12-07-2016, 11:57 AM
I have a 2159 jonsered that is 4 years old and has cut around 150 cord of wood and done quite well. I would buy another. I agree with those who say buy from a dealer. The saws at TSC, Lowes and other chains are not different, but they do not offer the pro grade model saws. I know Lowes, Home Depot and others sale what the saw makers refer to as consumer/home owner saws. They do not have the good chains on them either, but they are not made cheaper as the same model at a dealer. So it's models you want to compare. However, I say buy from a dealer for the service and parts choices. I used to work for Lowes and sold power equipment for them and i still bought my saw and saw gear at a dealer.

UPMaple
12-19-2016, 07:09 PM
What do you sugar makers think of the Jonsered 2166. Tractor supply has a 15% off Sale and I have another coupon for $50.00 which brings the price to 585.00. I really want the Stihl 066 magnum but that runs about 1200. Difference is about 20cc and 615.00

If you ever have the need to cut big wood you won't regret the Stihl 660. Worth every penny in my opinion. You can also use it with an Alaskan Chain Saw Mill to make your own lumber. It comes with a 24" bar and will run up to a 36" bar no problem. This saw loves to cut wood. I also use a Stihl 390 which is also an excellent saw for smaller wood.

The newer computerized versions are the 661 and 391. Don't have any experience with them, but if they are like their old school cousins they are probably great saws.

No I don't work for Stihl, just really like their chainsaws.

blucoondawg
02-02-2017, 09:33 PM
I don't know if it's still the case but a few years back the johnsered and husky were identical saws with different plastic bodies on them, parts were all integrable between comparable models in the 2 brands. The 372xp husky and 2171 were the same. I agree on the box stores, I've got husky 372 and I like Stihl and johnsered too but I don't care for any of the homeowner type saws I run the pro grade saws they cut much nicer

motowbrowne
02-03-2017, 05:59 PM
I got a new chainsaw yesterday. It's a Stihl 261cm Arctic that a friend of mine in Canada shipped to me. Can't get them in the US :(.

I'm thinking that the heated handles will be the cat's meow for sugarbush thinning during the cold months. 15325

Lano75
02-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Purchased a MS261 in November and retired the 1980 Jonsered 621 my 100year old grandpa gave to me. Great saw I have already cut 3-4 cords and it has not missed a beat. A lot lighter then the old 621!

nhmaple48
02-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Hey Bodie,would you buy an RO from a company that makes vacuum cleaners ??????