PDA

View Full Version : Sap head tank platform

mspina14
11-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Just built a new platform outside the sugar house for my head tank.

Tank is a 240 gallon LaPierre round bottom stainless steel tank. Now I have to plumb it my 2X4XL Mason evaporator.

Anybody have any ideas what I can use for a lid on the tank?

Or, anyone know someone that would fabricate a stainless steel lid?

thanks

Mark

14785 14786 14787

Bucket Head
11-20-2016, 08:44 PM
A local sheet metal shop or welding/fabrication shop could make something for that pretty quick!
Nice tank and nice job on the platform.
Steve

maple flats
11-21-2016, 05:42 AM
I agree. My local tin shop has made several covers for my tanks and equipment, all in SS. Just make it slightly oversized and have it cross broke (a slight bend diagonally in a crossing pattern to give strength and a very slightly higher center for drainage). My tin shop made covers for 2 sap tanks, my 2x6 finisher, my canner, my draw off tank, my syrup pan and float boxes (for when not boiling) and others in the past. That will be an easy task for them.

ennismaple
11-21-2016, 12:31 PM
For not much more than the cost of the SS lid you could probably enclose the platform with 2x4 walls and plywood sheeting and a simple steel roof.

Nice looking platform. I see you've made it bigger than needed - because you'll want a bigger tank up there someday! We have a similar platform for our 300 gallon concentrate tank but I think we need to go to a 500+ gallon tank so we can run higher concentrate

mspina14
11-21-2016, 10:41 PM
For not much more than the cost of the SS lid you could probably enclose the platform with 2x4 walls and plywood sheeting and a simple steel roof.

Nice looking platform. I see you've made it bigger than needed - because you'll want a bigger tank up there someday! We have a similar platform for our 300 gallon concentrate tank but I think we need to go to a 500+ gallon tank so we can run higher concentrate

I was thinking the same thing about building an enclosure for the tank. But I am arranging for a fabricator to construct a lid.

Will post photos when it arrives.

Mark

maple flats
11-23-2016, 05:02 PM
My platform is much larger than the head tank by design. I have a ladder built onto the sugarhouse wall and I have more than enough room to walk around 3 sides, the 4th side is tight against the sugarhouse and I have a cut out about 10" x 10" where the pipe enters the sugarhouse. There I have a valve that I operate from inside the sugarhouse to control the sap (concentrate) flow. I used to have a 415 gal tank up there, then I swapped it for a 200 gal, last year I changed it again to a 150 gal. I don't like having more than 2 hrs ahead and I boil at about 75 GPH.
I did get another tank this year and if it ends up being able to cool again, I'll change back to that one. I think it is about 37-380 gal. If I can hold concentrate at 30 or near 30 it will become my next head tank, if not, it will just be another sap tank.