PDA

View Full Version : Distribution reel for 3/16 tubing

Woodsrover
11-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Will be running 150-200 taps all on 3/16 tubing. Would like to build some kind of rack/reel set up to bolt to the back of my UTV or ATV that would feed the tubing as I drove along. Tie the end off and drive through the woods laying down tubing as I went (without tangling!) Wonder if anyone has build something like that....

BAP
11-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Unless you have mobility issues, a 800' roll of 3/16" doesn't weight much and rolls easily on your arm as you walk along. Very easy to hitch the end and walk with the roll stringing it out and pulling it tight as you go. Way much easier than the 5/16".

bmbmkr
11-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Use a gallon paint bucket or coffee can screwed to a board or a "+"screwed on to the bottom of it with a snap swivel on the handle. I found this design on here or on the net some years ago, haven't tried it yet but it's what I'm goin to use this year. I got 1500' of 3/4" and 4 rolls of 3/16 "in the mail" today! Gettin close!

Cody
11-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Unless you have mobility issues, a 800' roll of 3/16" doesn't weight much and rolls easily on your arm as you walk along. Very easy to hitch the end and walk with the roll stringing it out and pulling it tight as you go. Way much easier than the 5/16".That is what we do,super easy.Climbing the hill is more work than hanging the tubing.

Woodsrover
12-13-2016, 07:21 PM
So I dreamed something up and built it. It may be silly but I can't sleep at night unless I'm thinking of different ways to do things.

With this setup I can either anchor the tube at the end of the line and weave my way through the trees on the machine where its open enough, or park the machine at the end of the line and walk the tubing through the trees. I have a spool for the 500' rolls and a spool for the 800' rolls. Spools are "build-a-spool" from McMaster Carr and come apart to change rolls of tubing. Base is 1" plywood, the uprights are 3/4" plywood glued and screwed. Will start laying tubing after the first of the year. Hope it works as good as I think it will

Wanabe1972
12-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Thats a nice setup. Have one that is verticle but i want to make it horizontal as the tubing drops down on top of its self and jams up. I also found out this year the 3/16 tubing has alot of grip on trees. Ran two seperate 3/16 lines zip zagging through about 25 trees each and it took 3 of us to keep feeding the line. Did you make the rolls split to get the tubing on there or did you wind it on? Jeff

Woodsrover
12-13-2016, 07:35 PM
The spools come apart. They're from McMaster Carr. Not very expensive either....

https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvB/contents/gfx/large/38305tc1-e01cl.png?ver=1444722479

lpakiz
12-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Having used a similiar device, only horizontal, I bet that is going to work great! But build some sort of "holder" for the loose end after you cut the lateral off at the spool. Might be as simple as a piece of 3/4 about 4-6 inches long, clamped to the wood somewhere, or even just a hole drilled into the plywood, just a tad bigger than the tube. Stick the loose end in the hole to contain it. Otherwise the loose end might go wild and get all tangled up.
Also, if it rolls too easily, some sort of ""brake" would be nice.

Woodsrover
01-07-2017, 01:31 PM
I used this today and it worked awesome! Where I couldn't drive I parked the wheeler facing away from the direction I wanted to run line and pulled it up by hand. It came off the spool with ease and didn't tangle at all. Where the ground is open enough I anchored the end of the tubing and drove my way around through the trees. Went back and strung it up, attached all my drops and tied up the bottom end. Put up two runs and probably 1300 feet of 3/16" tubing. Will put a few more up tomorrow.

Wanabe1972
01-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Woodsrover I did end up finding a reel like you used but have not had time to make a stand for it yet.