PDA

View Full Version : Burying Line

Maple Man 85
11-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Does anyone have experience with burying line? My sugar bush is directly across the road from my sugar house and rather than buying tanks would it be economical to bury the line and bore under the road so sap is piped directly to the sugar house? It would be roughly 1/2 a mile of trenching to have 3,500 - 4,000 taps come right to the sugar house. Never considered burying line until I started looking at the cost of stainless tanks :o

Maple Man 85

BAP
11-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Do you have slope from the sugarbush to the sugarhouse? We I used to sugar at the farm before selling, we had several lines that were buried. Some ran into the sugarhouse and others out in woods. The ones in sugarhouse we buried into the sugarhouse and came up through the floor in the R/O room so it didn't freeze. Out in the woods, we dropped into the ground on the uphill side of the road and were able to daylight it on the lower side with enough slope to keep it drained so it didn't freeze. We ran it inside a piece of 4" solid drain pipe going into the ground and coming out so that the pipe had some support, but through the long runs just direct buried it like a water line. We also used 160 psi black water pipe so that it was thicker walled to eliminate any damage from stones. If its pretty good digging and you can get it in and out of the ground well I would go for it because it saves a lot of work. One run we had was buried for about 3000 feet with 3 points that lines dropped into it. One thing I would do would be to put an extra line in the ditch for your long run just in case something happens to one line or you find out you need more volume.

Maple Man 85
11-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Do you have slope from the sugarbush to the sugarhouse? If its pretty good digging and you can get it in and out of the ground well I would go for it because it saves a lot of work. One run we had was buried for about 3000 feet with 3 points that lines dropped into it. One thing I would do would be to put an extra line in the ditch for your long run just in case something happens to one line or you find out you need more volume.

The slope is relatively low 1-2% over 80 acres and it is sloped the wrong way from the sugar house. Our longest underground run would be 2600 feet. The property is rectangular in shape with a country hwy on one side and a town road on the other which is beneficial because it slopes to both roads here is the land aerial.14759
My sugarhouse is in the center of the picture with the circle driveway and the bush is the upper right hand of the picture. We placed the sugarhouse on the corner because my parents own the 40 on the upper left hand side of the picture and we're in the process of purchasing the 80 that runs down left side of the picture. I am thinking we can underground everything to the sugar house to save labor and cost in tanks. Just looking for feedback and others options before we actually start tubing the bush this spring.

Mentioning that the sap came up from under the floor is an interesting idea... I planned to have a couple large tanks bulk headed through the wall so that is a possibility as we will be pouring cement in the spring.

Maple Man 85

wiam
11-12-2016, 11:16 AM
My releaser is about 1600' from my sugarhouse and power. Up over a hill. I have 1" pump line and 1 1/4" vacuum line buried. Most places about 4-5' down. Closer to 7' under a field road that snow blows off. Never had a freeze problem underground with this.

Maple Man 85
11-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Looking in the yellow pages and can't seem to find a place that advertised trenching, looking to find a price to see if this is a justifiable cost. I can rent a trencher but having a tenured hand behind the wheel would probably be a better option. Also have to get the county involved as I would expect they wouldn't be very kind to me if I bored through the hwy without their knowledge and the power company to verify there aren't underground lines.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Might rent a trencher and find a local guy that works for water or gas company that wants to work on side for some extra $$$ especially this time of year being close to Christmas. Save a bunch of money like that.

Maple Man 85
11-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Might rent a trencher and find a local guy that works for water or gas company that wants to work on side for some extra $$$ especially this time of year being close to Christmas. Save a bunch of money like that.
That's a good idea, I have friends that work on oil lines and travel back home. Thanks for helping guide my thought process Brandon.

Maple Man 85

Shiftman
12-12-2016, 06:33 PM
We buried about 3000' of pump line and a power cable this summer. We did it on a trencher attachment for a bobcat over the course of a very long weekend.

Maple Man 85
12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
We buried about 3000' of pump line and a power cable this summer. We did it on a trencher attachment for a bobcat over the course of a very long weekend.

Burying electrical greater than a 1/2 mile did you have to use some sort of a regulator/transformer to maintain certain voltage to get to your final destination? (also something that needs to be done is run power to the woods)