PDA

View Full Version : Novice Running Community Sap Collection

GSCampChris
11-07-2016, 09:32 AM
We are an educational operation in Columbus, OH. This year we plan to add a program where folks can tap their own maples, and bring us their sap to boil. We are designing our operation so we don't cross-contaminate home tapped sap with the 340 taps we have. How long can sap sit before it must be boiled. We boil our sap ASAP... but I am wondering how long a hobbyist would let their sap sit before it NEEDING to be boiled.

Chris

motowbrowne
11-07-2016, 03:39 PM
It really depends on the temperature of the sap, and where you are in the season. Last year, we tapped early (2/26) and had a good run for two days. Brought in a few hundred gallons of sap. Then the temps plummeted. The sap was in a 400 gallon insulated bulk tank, and the top 3" froze solid. I didn't cook that sap until the temps warmed up, more sap started flowing, and I knew I'd have enough keep the evaporator running for half a day. I think it was about a week later.

Conversely, at the end if the season, there's bacteria everywhere. Sap is contaminated the second it leaves the tree. With daytime temps in the 60s and potentially warm overnight temps, sap goes bad FAST. Like, 24 hours might be too long. You might still be able to cook it after 24 hours, but it may very well make off flavored syrup.

psparr
11-07-2016, 04:33 PM
I collect and boil only in the weekends. Only lost sap a few times.

Sugarmaker
11-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Chris,
Seen Columbus in the title. I think we met last year during LEME. Good luck with your maple operation this coming season!
Are you trying to make custom batches with each persons sap? This may will be a challenge? You will have some overlap or mix as you transition unless you are stopping and starting?
maybe I missed your question? Will go back and read it,
Regards,
Chris

GSCampChris
11-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Chris,
Seen Columbus in the title. I think we met last year during LEME. Good luck with your maple operation this coming season!
Are you trying to make custom batches with each persons sap? This may will be a challenge? You will have some overlap or mix as you transition unless you are stopping and starting?
maybe I missed your question? Will go back and read it,
Regards,
Chris

Yes! We did meet last year. We are going to mix all of the Hobby Sap together. We are calling it "Pot-luck" syrup... so when folks bring their sap, we will see how much they have, and they will get a certain percent of the final product of the pot-luck boil.