PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

SDdave
11-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Making the leap so to say from batch to continuous flow. Need some advice on size to order. For some reason I just can not wrap my head around it.

Background:
I have 40 taps, 3 kids, 1 CPA wife. Not that I don't want to tap more trees, it's the timing with everything/everyone. So I foresee 40 to 50 taps being a maximum for several years (5 to 7). I also have a small homemade RO which helps. I also have 4-5 hours a night that I can boil.

Big decision for a small time hobbyist...

SDdave

filb972
11-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Hi, I have 58 taps and a 2x4 Mason XL with a blower. It has worked fine for me.

motowbrowne
11-07-2016, 03:43 PM
50 taps with an RO doesn't sound like much boiling. I'd think a 2x4 would work fine. Personally, I like a little better length to width ratio (so less heat gets wasted). I'd never consider a 2x3, and unless a 2x5 will mean you don't get your fix of boiling (or the CFO won't sign off on it), I'd probably go that way.

acafro
11-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I did 85 taps last season with a 2x4 continuous flow pan with AUF and only had a few days where I was overwhelmed. In fact I had a hard time sweetening my pan because I wasn't getting enough sap in the beginning of the season.

Most days I only boiled 5-6 hours. My evaporation rate averaged out to about 13-14 gal/hr.

I don't know anything about your RO as far as output so hard saying what you would be able to boil with a similar setup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk