PDA

View Full Version : Interior design ideas

Snowmad
11-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Got the main structure for my sugar house up but I have a lot of details to figure out yet. My building is a 24'x36' pole barn type garage with a petition wall for the sugar house of 12'x24'. I have steel siding and roof. My evaporator is a Leader Patriot 2x6. I want to be comfortable when I'm boiling (I've frozen on my parents patio and last year in a machinery shed) so I'm wondering if it's a good idea to insulate. I can get 1.5" foil backed insulation fairly cheap $16 per sheet. I'm also a bit at a loss for what to use for walls. I have seen tin used but to me it looks too industrial and I want some wood...just not sure what. I've somewhat blown the budget on the building, so I've considered using rough cut 1x10' hemlock but I don't want to use bats on it. Was thinking of waiting until it has dried after a year and using a foam sealer between boards, then painting it. Lowes also carries some exterior ply wood type stuff that's about 1/2" thick but it's kind of pricey and I have 10' walls so it would take a lot of piecing at the top. Just wondering what other people have used for interior walls and what/if to use for insulation.

Windy Acres
11-06-2016, 06:54 AM
I just used osb and painted it, use a good primer such as kilz, and a good quality latex paint, i was happy with the results, i also hit it with a pole sander real quick too

Brad W Wi
11-06-2016, 01:17 PM
My building is a bit bigger but with the evaporator going you'll get plenty of heat. I have a metal roof on perlins and when the weather is right I get a lot of condensation dripping on me. My walls are T111 with no insulation. I should of put some type of insulation on my roof on the inside. I don't know if plywood would of worked and I'm sure chip board would swell up. I also have a 16x16 room with a small wood burner for an office/hunting site, I live a mile down the road. Comes in real handy in the off season, it is insulated.

MISugarDaddy
11-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Our sugarhouse is 16' by 24' and is completely insulated and we don't regret it at all. We covered the sidewalls with 1/2" OSB (inside and out) and then glued FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) on top of the OSB on the inside walls. On the ceiling we used foil backed 4' by 8' insulation and then glued FRP to that and on each truss we attached a 1 by 2 vinyl firing strip with SS screws to insure the FRP stayed in place. After talking to the food inspector we wanted to make a point of not having any exposed wood to avoid problems with inspections. What we did isn't cheap, but everything in the sugarhouse is washable.
Gary

Michael Greer
11-09-2016, 07:44 PM
I used nice, clean, planed 1x8 over the framing, a layer of 30 lb felt paper on the outside, and vertical 1x12 (planed) and battens for siding. It looks nice inside and out, and keeps the wind and rain completely out of my building. My roof is also planed 1x8, felt paper, strapping, and metal roofing. A tight building doesn't need insulation. It only takes about 1/2 hour to start shedding layers and I always end up in my t-shirt with the doors wide open after an hour or so.