PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin E cage tank

Fleman202
10-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Would a food grade cage tank that was used to hold vitamin E be okay for sap storage?

BreezyHill
11-08-2016, 08:46 AM
You will need to check the smell of the tank. Vitamin E is a fat soluble Vitamin thus the tank may have a residue that will cause an off flavor in the syrup. It may also have no affect due to the temp syrup is boiled at and will vaporize off and leave no affect. I am certain that there will be some liquid left in the tank that you could add to boiling water and boil the solution for 10 to 15 minutes and taste. Sap boils much longer so a minimal flavor at this time may be undetectable in syrup.

It is still a food additive so the taste is not a toxin so that is negated.

markcasper
11-08-2016, 11:55 AM
A guy brought me some sap in a vitamin E tank once. I was scared to post on this thread, but if it will help others???? Here is what happened....there was a film on top of the sap and hard to describe, kind of looked like soap residue. After it was unloaded is when I noticed it. I believe it was the first year I had the RO and chose not to run it through that with fear of fouling the membrane. I boiled it raw and it had NO foam whatsoever. It boiled like plain water. The vitamin E must have did that. I could not detect a flavor difference, but it was pretty light syrup.