PDA

View Full Version : New drops

Wanabe1972
10-27-2016, 08:14 AM
What method does everyone do to replace drops? I replaced about 50 drops last year and had many of them with micro leaks after they were replaced. Every one that leaked and I checked I had cut into the barb a little while removing the old drop. I could hear vacuum leaks from a few. This year i was going to cut several inches a above the t and use a straight through connector to reattach the new drop line. Is this the common method? Jeff

madmapler
10-27-2016, 08:38 AM
I pinch them on the side with a pair of Dikes. Works most of the time. I'm trying to find out about quick connects. I've heard they do well under vacuum.

wiam
10-27-2016, 09:36 AM
I use a new T. Chasing leaks later makes it not worth it.

mainebackswoodssyrup
10-27-2016, 06:31 PM
They do make a tool to remove line from connectors and it works OK. I don't recommend it though....new tee, new drop and new tap all at once. Putting old fittings and taps on a new drop is defeating part of the purpose of the new drop. Not to mention the time spent trying to "save" $$$.

Wanabe1972
10-27-2016, 06:50 PM
I will change everything as i run seasonal taps anyway. I just was going to make new drops with new tap, 30 inches of new drop line and a straight thru at the end of this and cut the old drop off just above the T and assemble there. I seems alot easier to do it this way rather than cut in a new t on every drop.

n8hutch
10-27-2016, 07:20 PM
The only downside to doing it this way is your adding 2 places for potential leaks with every tap. I guess if I was just on gravity I wouldn't worry about it. If you were going for High Vac then it should be a consideration. Also with a 2 handed tool it's pretty quick putting the Tee in that is already connected to your drop and new tap.

PerryFamily
10-27-2016, 07:37 PM
So I have quite a few drops to replace and I was also wondering if it might be easier to replace the entire T or go this route•

Heat the drop at the point where it attaches to the T with a small butane torch, being careful not to hear the T , just enough to relax the tubing and pull the drop off.

Now with the hot end system, slam a new drop on?

Any thoughts?

Wanabe1972
10-27-2016, 08:10 PM
This is probably the way to do it. I dont have a hot end system but have a nice two handed tool that will work. I have a little torch i could use so this may be the way to go. I wont even have to buy the straight thrus and i have several hundred new taps on hand. Jeff

Chicopee Sap Shack
10-28-2016, 05:30 AM
I replace the drop and the T with a 2 handed tool by cutting the old one out completely. No worries about micro leaks that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred
10-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Best thing to do is cut on each side if the tee and replace t, drop and spile every three years. Heating with a torch will compromise the 5/16 and cause loss of extended life. Putting a union in , is a restriction and time wasted as your talking about a 7 cent difference

Wanabe1972
10-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Fred, This is the way im going to do it. Ive already made my new drops with taps and Ts. With my 2 handed tool i can cut a little extra out when replacing the T to tighten up the lines a bit. Thanks Jeff

fred
10-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Good , you will be much happier