PDA

View Full Version : Offset cupola

Wanabe1972
10-26-2016, 06:47 PM
How far offset can you have with the evaporator and cupola and still get the steam out? I have a 2x6 evaporator and a 2x7 cupola with 16 inch high doors on each side. I would like to slide the evaporator to one side by a foot to give more room on one side of the sugar house. The cupola is dead center of the ridge line of the roof. Would this be too much to make the cupola ineffective? Thanks Jeff

n8hutch
10-26-2016, 07:11 PM
I don't think that will be a problem. My Evaporator is going to be Offset 4 feet from the cupola.

Sugarmaker
10-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Offsetting the rig that much is not going to have much affect on the steam. Steams not that smart. Not sure you can have effective and cupola in the same sentence when it comes to steam removal?:) Yes they will work and remove a lot of the steam. But if your trying to remove the sauna effect and drips from the rafters the cupola may not meet your expectations. Most iconic sugarhouse have them but if you really want to remove 95% of the steam ,then hoods and vent pipes are the answer.
Regards,
Chris

Wanabe1972
10-26-2016, 09:01 PM
I have never had a cupola before, in the old shack i had an open gable that let most out. Im working buying on the steam hood but was shot down this year in the budget meeting from my CFO (my wife) as i just got new pans for this year. Im hoping next year i can get the hoods. I think i may just build the hoods but dont have time this year with sugar house rebuild.

Jeff

MISugarDaddy
10-27-2016, 04:51 AM
Our evaporator was offset from the cupola by one foot and it didn't make any difference. We have now added a hood that vents into the cupola and that has helped even more to reduce the amount of steam hanging around in the peak.
Gary

RileySugarbush
10-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Our cupola is offset between 2' and 3' and is venting was not a problem. We also had the steam hood vented up and inside the cupola and that resulted in quite a bit of condensate off the protruding roofing nails and onto my head. We just got new pans and are running the flue pan, steam hood stack up through the roof to minimize the rain.