PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for growing my small operation

Noah's Ark
10-21-2016, 07:15 AM
I would like to grow to about 200-250 taps (only have max 300-350 maples mac and some are not convenient, and don't want to go off site, just don't have the time), build a small RO and new sugar house and upsize to a 2x6. I am planning to build the RO this winter and use it this season to learn how to use it on my current tap count then increase next year. Next step will be to begin building a new sugar house and then upgrade the evaporator. Thinking in the 14x16 or 12x18 size due mainly to building space I have (read "flatish" land area) close enough to get power and water. My property is pretty hilly and rough. I would like to check out a couple operations that are comparable size and see what you like/dislike about your current operation and what you would change. We have a small farm business, maple, bees, soap, crafts and future market garden products. I am working to grow the business to turn it full time in about 4-5 years. I live in Eastern CT but would be willing to go most places in the state since it is not that big of a state.

Thanks for any ideas or tour invites.

Chicopee Sap Shack
10-21-2016, 07:35 AM
With a 2X6 RO and other equipment a 14X16 building will not be big enough. You are going to need a 24X16 min size building to not be adding on in a year or two. My 2X6 uses most of my 12X16 building with room to move around it. I have added a 16X16 for my RO and processing. Do your home work and build with extra room!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiam
10-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Different needs for different people. My 900 gph ro and almost 900 gallons of permeate storage is in a room that is 8x10. If you can get in your ro room and shut the door you're good. Electric pressure washer lives in there during sugaring also.