PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic or Wool Filter ???

Gary in NH
03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I have been using 8 qt. cone filters for final filtration of my syrup. I use a cone pre-filter inside a synthetic cone and have been getting good results. I got soot on my filter (even with note to self) so I just ordered a couple of new ones. I ordered one synthetic and one wool. Is there a preference for synthetic or wool for the cone filter? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Fred Henderson
03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Moths don't eat the synthetic.

SteveD
03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
...But mice love both.
-Steve

3% Solution
03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Gary,
It would no doubt be your choise, what is good for you and if it works well, use it!
I happen to use wool filters with a prefilter.

Dave

HanginAround
03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't think anyone around here uses the wool anymore, but I don't think it matters much, whichever you prefer.

I think the syn are cheaper, so you won't feel as bad when you throw one out.

MaplePancakeMan
03-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I have used both, and i still do use both. The synthetic one is my choice now and i use the wool to filter my sap before entering the evaporator. I went away from the wool for syrup because i found it was losing fibers that sometimes found their way into syrup. I didn't like that idea to much and i'm sure customers wouldn't either. Its just my preference the wool does a heck of a job filtering the sap though, its pretty much crystal clear when it comes out. and that means less foam in the evaporator and the wool doesn't lose its strands as easily because saps less dense of course.

H. Walker
03-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I found the wool filters shrink, then they wouldn't fit the filter tank.

Gary in NH
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replys. When I ordered new ones yesterday the lady I spoke to at Bascoms said the wool did a better job. I was concerned about wool fibers in the finished product though. I have gotten excellent results with the synthetic and a pre-filter so I think I'll stick with what has worked. Any tricks to washing the synthetic filter when you're done with it? Do you pre-wet them before filtering?

Thanks again for the help!!!

brookledge
03-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Gary
When I used cone filters I always pre wetted them.
Keith

MaplePancakeMan
03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
For washing, if you have a dish washer, just run it with out detergent with your filters in it, cleans them right up

PA mapler
03-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I had an old-timer give me two wool cone filters. They smelled kinda musty, so I ran them through the washing machine (just hot water). Seemed like the musty smell was gone, but Oh My God the syrup tasted terrible!!! The same batch I used the two wool cones, I also used my usual flat synthetic filter. The syrup thru my flat filter was fine, so I know it wasn't just a bad batch.

Any way of getting the syrup edible? AND, any way to clean the woolies, or do they get pitched? I hate to take the chance of ruining more syrup. Can you wash them with vinegar or something?

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
03-26-2007, 09:09 PM
the best way to fix 'em is get new ones....once they get an odor imbedded into them, it's VERY hard/impossible to get rid of it.

ibby458
03-27-2007, 06:14 AM
I think it could be cleaned, but it's not worth the time/effort for the cost of replacing it.

I had the same thing happen to me once. We reboiled the syrup and skimmed the foam off and it returned to normal, although a grade darker. (If the density is correct, you'll need to thin it out a bit to account for the extra steam produced.)

PA mapler
03-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks, I figured I'd end up replacing them. I will try to reboil the syrup- it can't get much darker anyway!

brookledge
03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
the worst that can happen is you have alittle commercial grade syrup to sell.
Give reboiling a shot
Keith