PDA

View Full Version : Filter press size vs number of plates

Joel M
10-17-2016, 12:54 PM
This is going to be my second year sugaring, we are planning to have 250-300 taps and scale up quickly in the coming years. Last year we used cone filters and this was painfully slow and messy. I am looking for a filter press that can grow with my operation. Smoky Lake has a nice looking stainless press that can hold up to 20 filters but it uses 5" plates. Would this give me enough capacity or is it better to go with a press that uses larger plates 7" or 10"? What affects filtering capacity more, number of plates or size of plates?

Joel

Daryl
10-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Smoky Lake copied my 5" press. Both his and my 5" presses are made from Aluminum. They use 10 filter papers. Send me a PM for our price on the press. I offer support with your press after the sale.
His 7" presses are made from SS.

maple flats
10-17-2016, 04:01 PM
The capacity is based on the cubic inches in the hollow plates. Some hollow plates are 1.25 or even 1.5" deep but most are 1" deep. A short stack filter press comes with 3 hollow plates, regardless of if it is 7x7" or 10 x 10". On a 1" deep 7x7 you get 49 cu " in each hollow plate, a 10x10 is 100 cu. ". As such a short stack 7" press gives you 147 cu" and a short stack 10" gives you 300 cu".
My press is a 7". I started with 3 sets of plates, but after a few years I added 2 more. Now with 5 sets of plates, I usually filter 30-40 gal/set of papers early thru mid season and it drops to about half that near the end of the season. The press I have could be further expanded by getting more sets of plates, up to 10 sets, but I'd need to get longer side rails to support the bank. A 10" will do just over double that.
If you find a press with deeper hollow plates, you'll need to do the math. The cu." is the key, the press keep filtering until all the plates get filled up with filter aid and niter.
My biggest year I had 1320 taps of my own and I bought sap from others to the tune of about 1800 more taps. My 7" 5 bank was nearing it's capacity only because I ran all my syrup to my 2x6 finisher and then final verified density and sent up to 60 gal at a time thru the press to barrels. In very early season I actually got the 60 thru 1 set of papers, but as I approached mid season it was definately 2 sets of papers. The only time I ran the lowest number of gallons was at or near the final clean-up at the end of the season. However I never had over 30 gal total after concentrating that but it took 2 sets of papers.
If you will be over 2500 taps in a short while, you may want to start with a 10" short bank, then expand as needed.

wishlist
10-17-2016, 04:22 PM
This is going to be my second year sugaring, we are planning to have 250-300 taps and scale up quickly in the coming years. Last year we used cone filters and this was painfully slow and messy. I am looking for a filter press that can grow with my operation. Smoky Lake has a nice looking stainless press that can hold up to 20 filters but it uses 5" plates. Would this give me enough capacity or is it better to go with a press that uses larger plates 7" or 10"? What affects filtering capacity more, number of plates or size of plates?

Joel

I know a producer who uses Daryl's press and is extremely happy with it especially after he converted the hand pump to an air pump. He's somewhere north of 100 gallons thru it last year and it certainly can handle much, much more . Daryl has been building these for quite a few years as well. If your going to LEME this year look him up, he'll be close to wherever there is food !

mapledavefarm
10-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Smoky Lake copied my 5" press. Both his and my 5" presses are made from Aluminum. They use 10 filter papers. Send me a PM for our price on the press. I offer support with your press after the sale.
His 7" presses are made from SS.

IMO Everything he makes is a copy that's why he's referred to as a "custom fabricator". Like Falatlander sugaring once said " anything but smokey lake". Nuff said

PerryFamily
10-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Could always buy a larger press than you currently need and just pull plates out for now, and add them as you grow?

Its the way I do it when refiltering versus right off the evaporator. When refiltering filtered syrup I only use one plate and make up the difference on the rods with black iron pipe. When right off the evaporator I use all the plates.

I'm currently on my third press in 6 years. Started with a 7" short bank to a 10" short bank to my new one this year is a 10" full bank with the air pump.

Joel M
10-18-2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I am still very new to all this but I am excited to learn and get involved in the maple industry. I will be at LEME so I will be sure to stop in by you Daryl.

maple flats, that is exactly the information I was looking for thank you.

tuckermtn
10-18-2016, 06:45 PM
ditto to what PerryFam said about adjusting press size.

there are lots of nice presses out there - Daryl is one of the true gems in the maple industry, INMHO

best thing about a press is they hold their value very well.

RustyBuckets
10-18-2016, 07:39 PM
Go with one thats made in America not imported from China.

RustyBuckets
10-18-2016, 07:43 PM
Lets see some pics of the maxiflame and the new sugarhouse Joel. We like pictures.

FDA
10-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Go with one thats made in America not imported from China.

That's a new one. The thing I love about the maple industry is everything I own was made in the USA or Canada, or at least I thought it was..... Who's press is made in China ?

Joel M
10-19-2016, 07:30 AM

We are still finishing the sugar shack so we have not totally unwrapped the evaporator yet. Ill post some better pictures when we have it all hooked up!

Super Sapper
10-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Someone implied that Smokey Lake must import their frames from China to keep the price down. I asked Jim if this was true and he said that it is all made in the USA. I looked at the presses when I ordered my pans and the quality is right up there with the rest of his products. Hopefully this will stop the rumor about where the plates are made. I do not want to see this site go down the path of the other site as there is very little traffic there anymore.

lyford
10-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Good info Super Sapper. Thanks for putting that rumor to rest. Seems like some individuals are trying to underscore the quality of Jim's american made products. That is unfortunate.

asknupp
10-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Yes it is. And it's usually the same few people. My threads about Jim's products have been hijacked twice now. It's a shame that's it's happening to a new member as well.

wishlist
10-19-2016, 02:27 PM

We are still finishing the sugar shack so we have not totally unwrapped the evaporator yet. Ill post some better pictures when we have it all hooked up!

Nice pics Joel. That Sunrise evaporator looks like it has a good home, wise choice !

wishlist
10-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Someone implied that Smokey Lake must import their frames from China to keep the price down. I asked Jim if this was true and he said that it is all made in the USA. I looked at the presses when I ordered my pans and the quality is right up there with the rest of his products. Hopefully this will stop the rumor about where the plates are made. I do not want to see this site go down the path of the other site as there is very little traffic there anymore.

Did he said it's all made in the USA or assembled in the USA? I'm curious what brand ss diaphragm pump he's using?

Super Sapper
10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
I asked about the plates and he said that they are cast and machined in the US.