PDA

View Full Version : Surge Alamo 30 vacuum pum

Clinkis
10-16-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm repurposing a surge Alamo 30 vacuum pump I bought of a local dairy farmer to run my 250 tap bush. It currently has an electric motor on it which I need to replace with a gas motor. I'm looking at either a Honda 4 hp or 5.5 hp? Which one would people recommend? Also, there is a surge factory accumulator/moisture trap attached to it. Can or should I use that or get rid of it? Any advice from people familliar with these pumps is greatly appreciated?

maple flats
10-16-2016, 06:20 PM
The 30 is a great pump. You should use it. I run a 30 with a 5.5 Honda at about half throttle. I removed to original gas tank and put a 4.5 gal tank on it. Here it is: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/Engine-Accessories/Fuel-Tanks-Caps/4-5-GALLON-RED-FUEL-TANK-W-FUEL-SHUTOFF-VALVE-28-1836-R.axd
With that I get between 15-17 hrs on a filling. I only go for 19" with that pump only because it is connected to a vacuum tank rated at 20" max. If you use a releaser you can go higher vacuum but the fuel will use more.
Open the pump by removing the non pulley end and make sure the vanes move freely and that the inside of the chamber is not scored. New vanes can be gotten from Hamby Dairy Supply online. I found them to have the best price.
Contact Breezyhill with any questions on this pump. He is an expert on Alamo pumps and likely others.

Clinkis
10-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Cool thanks for the info. Pump was ceased when I got it. I completely disassembled it and gave it a really good cleaning and polishing. Vanes are in reasonable shape, some minor scoring. Thought I try it and if not happy with performance I would replace them. I am purchasing a lappierre hobby releaser. If I can get 22-23" I'll be happy. So should I use or remove accumulator moisture trap that came with pump? Also what size of pulleys are you using? Pump has an 8" on it right now.

jimsudz
10-16-2016, 08:39 PM
The tank is a accumulator not a moisture trap. I had a releaser freeze up once and filled the tank and the pump. luckily all i did was change oil and back in business. I did loose 1" of vacuum. usually run 19" after the flood all i would get was 18". Believe all I need to do is take apart and wash off the vanes ,which may be sticky.

maple flats
10-17-2016, 07:04 AM
If the body, end play and vanes are in good shape, you can get over 23" with that pump. However, you need new oilers, and in warmer temperatures you will want an aux. cooler fan. Keeping the uint from over heating is a must. At my 19" I have no issue, but the higher you go with vacuum the more the pump heats up.
You must have good oilers, the stock ones are minimally adjustable, but aftermarket ones are available. Did the pump come with an oil reclaimer? If not, try to get one. Without one, you will need a good oil reservois and you will need to top it off daily, with one I only need to add vacuum oil once a week or so. I run my pump 24/7 unless the temps are too cold for sap to flow. Once it goes below freezing, sap will continue to flow for longer than you might realize. Buy or make a moisture trap. Lookup Ed Sobles in Central Square, NY, he sells them for about $200.

Clinkis
10-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Yes, it came with an oil reclaimer. In reading some other posts I saw that some guys disconnected metal hook up and put a rubber pipe in between to prevent metal fatigue from vibration. Is this necessary? I picked up a 5hp Honda motor today and 2.5" pulley. Pump had 10" pulley on it. This ok?

BreezyHill
10-18-2016, 08:19 AM
1464314643Great pump, get the stock oil reclaimer looks like this.

The balance tank is what you called a moisture trap it is best to add another moisture trap that is easier to dump than the original unless the one you have has been updated.

Go by what Flats has said on motor sizing as I have not run on gas b4.

Good pumps and last very well when maintained.

Ben

Clinkis
10-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Can't seem to open your attachments? I'll try and post some pics of what I have. The balance tank has a flap on the bottom that opens when pump is turned off so super easy to empty. I plan on adding a moisture trap after balance tank.

BreezyHill
10-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Does it work this time?

I have internal pics if you need.

Clinkis
10-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Yep I can see it now. Mine looks pretty much the same but it doesn't split in half in the middle. It's a solid tank.

Clinkis
10-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Here is my pump. I got Honda motor mounted and running. Still need to get oiler setup

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-25-2016, 07:13 AM
my setup14701

Clinkis
10-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Looks good. Do you still use the factory accumulator tank or did you remove it. Trying to decide if I should mount it back on or not? I ran pump today and was able to get it to pull 26".....very pleased. I don't plan on running it that high as, others have told me, it will heat up too much. I will be happy if I can pull 22-23" consistently for this year.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-25-2016, 06:10 PM
yes i used it as from the factory other than flooding it. 23 inches is good but in warm weather i had to put a box fan on it

Clinkis
10-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Can you someone tell me what oilers I need?

halladaymaple
10-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Hi All:

I don't mean to Hijack the tread, but I too just picked up a ALAMO 30 plus pump. I am missing the oil reclaimer and I hope to find one, I figure I have about 16 weeks for that, so if anyone in Eastern Ontario has one, please PM me. My question. If you look at the attached picture there is a port that looks like some kind of bottle screws into it. I have looked around for a operators manual for the 30 and cant find one that has that piece. Hoping someone can tell me what its called and what's the purpose of it. Thanks in advance...14709

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Can you someone tell me what oilers I need? do you need part #s and supplier or just looking for adjustabie drip oilers ??

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Hi All:

I don't mean to Hijack the tread, but I too just picked up a ALAMO 30 plus pump. I am missing the oil reclaimer and I hope to find one, I figure I have about 16 weeks for that, so if anyone in Eastern Ontario has one, please PM me. My question. If you look at the attached picture there is a port that looks like some kind of bottle screws into it. I have looked around for a operators manual for the 30 and cant find one that has that piece. Hoping someone can tell me what its called and what's the purpose of it. Thanks in advance...14709 that had a plastic jar that screwed on to the body. also noticed that your pump is drilled for an oiler on the pulley side berng, is the other end also tapped for a pipe fitting

Clinkis
10-29-2016, 06:01 AM
do you need part #s and supplier or just looking for adjustabie drip oilers ??

I'm looking for a supplier for 3 aftermarket adjustable oil drippers. Seem tough to source here in Ontario so will most likely need to order them from the US. Part #'s would be great too

halladaymaple
10-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Hi. No, the other end is not drilled for an oiler. Just the one end. Got it apart today and it looks bad but I will get it cleaned up and take a look. He vanes came out with some work. I believe they should be skidding pretty free.

Thanks

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
11-01-2016, 08:45 PM
I'm looking for a supplier for 3 aftermarket adjustable oil drippers. Seem tough to source here in Ontario so will most likely need to order them from the US. Part #'s would be great too

let me do some looking its been 3 years so i need to look back and find my supplier and part #s

i

BreezyHill
11-07-2016, 01:07 PM
drippers and rebuild parts are available from Hanby Dairy supply on line.

Use copper lines and not plastic to dissipate heat and to eliminate the risk of a line rupturing from heat fatigue.

Yes the vanes must move freely and best if cleaned in diesel fuel and never any product that will remove the oil coating of the vane. Is the housing scored? If so you will need to hone with 320 or 300 stone.

These are great little pumps and the one thing needed on OSB's is a length of pipe below the point that the oil lines come off for water to be caught in. Water will accumulate in the factory reclaimers and is not good for the pump, as this will cause rusting between runs and score the pump housing and cause vein failure.

12" of copper line will drop the oil temp by as much as 70 degrees on a 60 degree day provided you have clean air in the room.