PDA

View Full Version : 7 inch short bank filter press?

jdj
03-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Just wondering how much syrup (on average) you should be able to run through a 7 inch short bank filter press on a set of papers? I'd say I average around 3 gallons at best most of the time. How much filter aid should I be using? If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

maplehound
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I run 5 to 10 gal through mine with some trouble late in the year. I ussually add about 2 cups to the first 5 and then 1 cup to the next 5.

sapman
03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I bought mine in '96, before anyone was really offering the short versions, so I have a standard one. My biggest problem has always been keeping the plates hot throughout the boil, as I like to finish on the evaporator and put it directly into barrels. I tried only putting in 3 or 4 frames last week, but only got about 6-7 gals. through it, all at once, before it acted plugged.

I made a styrofoam box the other night to keep over the bank, which I think is really helping. I was able to get all 27 gals. through, then broke it down.

Good luck,
Tim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I am getting 10 to 15 gallons on mine and it is a short bank. I had to learn how the hard way and that was about 4 cups of filter aid in 15 gallon of syrup and no charging of the press. I was trying to charge it and it was killing the filtering.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I have a 7" short bank D&G w/ the thick plates, and I can get 30+ gallons at a time. I keep dumping all my syrup of the night into a tank and at the end of the night i heat it up and filter all at once. I know I can get more than 30 but that's all I've tried so far, and the press only got to about 40 to 45 lbs.