PDA

View Full Version : Type of stack, regular or triple wall?

NY mapler
10-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of gather materials to build an oil tank evaporator and one thing I'm wondering is about the stack. Do I need to get double or triple wall stainless steel pipe or can I make do with regular stove pipe? I am building this inside so I know I will need the proper material for going through the roof.
Obviously I can save a lot of money going with regular pipe and was just wondering what other people thought.

Super Sapper
10-11-2016, 05:23 AM
Most go with single wall. You may need to go double or triple where it goes through the roof to get your clearances to combustibles down and then back to single wall after you exit the roof.

NY mapler
10-11-2016, 08:17 AM
OK, great thank you! That will save a lot of money!

Michael Greer
10-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Single wall pipe is fine, but be sure to get the clearances right. There is nothing more disturbing than setting the roof on fire while trying to make syrup.

wishlist
10-16-2016, 05:24 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of gather materials to build an oil tank evaporator and one thing I'm wondering is about the stack. Do I need to get double or triple wall stainless steel pipe or can I make do with regular stove pipe? I am building this inside so I know I will need the proper material for going through the roof.
Obviously I can save a lot of money going with regular pipe and was just wondering what other people thought.

Single will pipe has 18" clearance to combustibles and is not allowed to go thru a floor, attic, or roof. Do it right the first time , no need to have the local fire department out because your trying to save a dollar.

BAP
10-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Single wall pipe is fine to use threw the roof as long as you use a roof Jack to keep pipe away from any wood.

wishlist
10-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Single wall pipe is fine to use threw the roof as long as you use a roof Jack to keep pipe away from any wood.

Maybe code is different in NH , but you can't do that ( legally) in Mi no matter how much clearance to combustibles you have . I would say that most insurance agents don't know the difference between an evaporator or a wood stove. Put single wall pipe on a wood stove thru the roof exposed to extremely cold temperatures and your asking for a chimney fire . Creosote build up along with poor draft do to cooling . Do it right the first time and save a bunch of headaches .

BAP
10-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Do what you need to do to meet local codes, but we are talking about an evaporator in an outbuilding not a wood stove in a house. Plus, if you run your evaporator right, there should be little to no creosote because the fire is so hot. Creosote is formed when there is not enough heat.

wishlist
10-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Do what you need to do to meet local codes, but we are talking about an evaporator in an outbuilding not a wood stove in a house. Plus, if you run your evaporator right, there should be little to no creosote because the fire is so hot. Creosote is formed when there is not enough heat.

I have insurance on both BAP and I know I would have been denied insurance if I incorrectly installed single wall stove pipe and used it as a chimney. Again, do you think an insurance agent/adjuster knows the difference between an evaporator or a wood stove or if it was even being " run right" ? They look at your stove pipe and chimney installation . Legally here a prefabricated chimney ( stovepipe is NOT a chimney) must be ss , have a minimum 1" insulation and I believe a 1" air gap .

BAP
10-16-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm not going to argue with you about this. But just because your local codes require you to have insulated stack, it does not mean that the rest of the states have the same requirements. If you have a backyard sugaring operation in a small outbuilding, then you can get away with less. There are thousands of evaporators installed with single wall pipe going threw the roof without any problems in this country. The biggest thing is too make sure you follow local codes.

wishlist
10-16-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm not going to argue with you about this. But just because your local codes require you to have insulated stack, it does not mean that the rest of the states have the same requirements. If you have a backyard sugaring operation in a small outbuilding, then you can get away with less. There are thousands of evaporators installed with single wall pipe going threw the roof without any problems in this country. The biggest thing is too make sure you follow local codes.

I agree 100 % Bap, NY Mapler should check his local codes before installing the chimney .

NY mapler
10-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys for the input! I'll have to check the local codes.