PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale and private label syrup

PerryFamily
10-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Ive started selling syrup in Nashville TN
Its my syrup, they provide the container and sell it with their name on it ( I caretake their property here in VT and I will be tapping there in 2017)

Right now its not in huge volume but the market there is great, very little maple products
2 questions:

Whats the best source to ship syrup? I like the flat rate USPS boxes but that wont work for any kind of volume
If I sent cases maybe truckload? ABF, Conway, FedEx......
Looking for others experiences
Our first load happened to go down in their pickup when they came up so the shipping was free essentially

Pricing: Id like to obviously have both of us make money. Id like to be midway of the bulk price and my retail here but obviously the higher the better

I was thinking around $3.50 a pound. Bulk I got was $2.25/pound, so that is $1.25/pound to reheat , filter and bottle in THEIR containers. So approx. $38.50 per gallon.
However once shipping is factored in I'm not sure theres a lot of profit on their end.
I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to price accordingly so there is money to be made on both ends??

Thanks in advance

mainebackswoodssyrup
10-09-2016, 06:49 PM
You should be able to get a real good price if you can find people who want it down there. As far as shipping, you are correct that USPS flat rate works good a few quarts or pints. FedEx was best for large quantity last time I checked but it gets expensive quick due to weight.

maple maniac65
10-10-2016, 05:30 AM
5gallon containers boxed and let them bottle down there.

PerryFamily
10-10-2016, 06:05 AM
5gallon containers boxed and let them bottle down there.

We've thought about that but they are not set up for that process. Between a finishing pan to reheat, a press or some sort of filtering device and a canner....that's a large investment that I already own here.

I've often thought if the volume was high enough I'd just out it in my pickup and drive it down. But that would take a minimum of 4 days when I could be digging holes making money

maple maniac65
10-10-2016, 06:12 AM
There are discounts for volume shipping to one address with ups.

maple maniac65
10-10-2016, 06:16 AM
We've thought about that but they are not set up for that process. Between a finishing pan to reheat, a press or some sort of filtering device and a canner....that's a large investment that I already own here.

I've often thought if the volume was high enough I'd just out it in my pickup and drive it down. But that would take a minimum of 4 days when I could be digging holes making money

Is that pickup being pulled by a horse. I went to Cairo ga. In 22 hours back in 26 hauling 6000lbs of jd tractor. Where is the emoticons on this site. :-)

PerryFamily
10-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Is that pickup being pulled by a horse. I went to Cairo ga. In 22 hours back in 26 hauling 6000lbs of jd tractor. Where is the emoticons on this site. :-)

Well it is a ford......haha

19 hrs one way, a little visiting time, I'd say 3 days minimum

maple maniac65
10-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Well it is a ford......haha

19 hrs one way, a little visiting time, I'd say 3 days minimum

Glad you have a sense of humor

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-16-2016, 08:23 PM
Send it on Ross Express if you are shipping a pallet of it as they are reasonable and transfer to a carrier that delivers to TN.

maple flats
10-17-2016, 07:15 AM
Ship by any LTL truck line, but you must ship by a full pallet for decent rates. I think pallet goes at one rate, regardless of weight. When you palletize the load must be well protected and stable. Best to get stretch wrap and do a good job.

grizzlym
10-19-2016, 08:43 AM
FedEx Freight came out with a service similar to USPS, essentially it is a Gaylord box on a skid for a set price. They have two sizes and they supply the box. You should be able to find the info on their site.