PDA

View Full Version : Need new vacuum pump what to get?

gmcooper
03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
My old vacuum pump is dying. Had to rebuild it this winter with new bearings and seals and adjust it. It is a Gardner Denver pump. It is an Air Lobe. Kind of neat as it uses no oil. Has 2 figure 8 shaped lobes that counter rotate and create vacuum 4 times per revolution. Can also be used as a blower pump.
It is not building the vacuum it used too and makes more noise.

Have been looking for a used vac pump. Anyone have and luck with Massport?
Delaval- which models? Universal? Conde?

Mark

gmcooper
03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Tried to edit to add we have 800 taps on vac now and may add 200 with sap ladders next year.

Parker
03-22-2007, 04:52 AM
I have been very impressed with the old sugre sp-22 and sp-11's,,you can pull 20" all day long,,and they are not too exspensive to buy,,dont consume a lot of oil,,

gmcooper
03-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks Parker! These models are not the old piston type pumps are they?

Mark

royalmaple
03-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Mark-

I got a surge SP-22, first year running it but has been dependable so far. Hasn't used oil and does very well. Also got some delavals vane pumps, one is set up at the house and that too is working well, after I really cleaned it up. The SP-22 I have is indeed the piston type pump.

lmathews
03-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Not sure what you are looking for but I have 2 vac pumps to sell.A surge 50+ with a 3 hp elec motor builds good vac,up to 26 if you shut it down all the way.Runs 18-20 good.Asking $500.00 for that one.Also have a Zero pump builds 18 in of vac.not sure motor size.$500.00 for this as well.Both have reserve tanks hooked up to them.I would like to get rid of my smaller pumps to get a larger liquid ring pump.
Thank You Lee

gmcooper
03-24-2007, 08:02 AM
After Parkers post this am i went to check on the old surge pump that my inlaws used to take to the dairy shows with them. It has been in the barn here for 15 years. It is a model sp-11. Still runs! Need to reweld the large pulley as it has had numerous accidents traveling all over New England and beyond for at least 30 years. Thinking this might get me thru rest of this season.

What weight oil are you guys using in these old surges? The jug that came here with the pump has long been tossed out.
Mark

Lee where in NY are you? My son is in Vernon.

royalmaple
03-24-2007, 08:04 AM
I am running ATF in mine. Thanks to Russ Lampron for the cases.