PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump temp. switch

madmapler
10-03-2016, 06:14 PM
I'd like to set my vac. pumps up with a temp switch (Thinking maybe low voltage with a relay) To turn them off at 30 deg. and on at 34 deg. Can anyone tell me how to go about it and what switch/controller to buy? I have some cheap clicker type switches but would like to be able to set parameters. Thanks.

PerryFamily
10-03-2016, 07:11 PM
I think its a Johnson A19? Some say you need a motor starter some don't so I'm not sure on that. $75 at webb

Spanielslovesappin
10-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Johnson Controls A19 is the analog version and will not give you fine temp control. The A419 is the digital version which will. A419 XXX-1 XXX depends on 24v vs 120/240V and the enclosure. The control contacts are rated for .25-1HP depending on configuration so unless you are running something very small it needs a motor controller or VFD. http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/met_pdf/125188.pdf

GeneralStark
10-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Save yourself the hassle and just run the pumps 24/7. I can't believe how many times I have seen the sap run hard on vac. when the temp was below 34F. If you are paying much for the electricity, something is wrong.

madmapler
10-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Save yourself the hassle and just run the pumps 24/7. I can't believe how many times I have seen the sap run hard on vac. when the temp was below 34F. If you are paying much for the electricity, something is wrong.

I'm looking for off at 30, on at 34 thereabouts. That's pretty much when things are frozen up and well before it gets running again at my locations. I currently have a 10hp. sihi pump at my largest bush that cost me $1200.00 to run last season and that includes running back and forth 10 miles to shut it off and turn it on. I just ordered a couple of low voltage digital controllers that I think will work. Thanks all.

PerryFamily
10-05-2016, 07:16 AM

I did this last year with my atlas copco pump and it was amazing the amount of Sao I got. Never missed a drop. The pump, tank and releaser are mounted in an insulated container and the heat from the pump kept everything from freezing. Never a drop of frost or ice. Hopefully I can get my second one set up that way

Biz
10-05-2016, 12:29 PM
I have a vacuum pump controller I've been working on that automates the Shurflo diaphragm pump, for those who are running on battery and are not able to keep it running continuously. It incorporates an electric ball valve to bypass sap when the pump turns off, if sap wants to flow for whatever reason. Has lots of programmable functions like temps and delays, and some cool features. PM me if interested in more details. Also see my posting "Finalizing my new diaphragm pump controller system" in the Vacuum pump section of the forum.

The simple temperature switches might work OK too, they certainly are a low cost solution, but have some drawbacks. I had one time last year where my pump blew a fuse, I think because it turned on before the pump had fully thawed out, and I lost a half a day of sap. I had turn-on point set to 36 degrees but maybe needed more thaw time. With my new unit I don't have to worry about lost sap, it can do a delay after hitting the turn-on temp before pump turns on. It can also sense if pump is not running, and bypass sap around the pump.

Dave

madmapler
10-05-2016, 02:35 PM
I too have seen the light. I built 8x8 sheds at both sites. They are going to contain the pumps and releasers and will stay above freezing. I'm also putting in chest freezers and freezing sap in buckets as an experiment as well as a few other season extending ideas with my tanks. I'm going to post some pics once I have things set up. We'll see how it goes.

BreezyHill
10-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Temp controls are definitely the green way to go and the saved elec will pay for the controller. Ours is set to turn and off at 30. Sunshine heats the lines to run about there and the moving sap will still be clearing lines until we hit 30.

Will be trying to setup a switch to not turn on the unit on cloudy days until 33. Some cloudy days it takes even 34 to thaw the lines.

I paid for the swtich and build time the first season with the saved power.