PDA

View Full Version : pex tubing for mainline

blurr95
10-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Hey all. I was wondering about using PEX tubing for a mainline this year. I am going to put up a 3/4" main with a sureflow pump. I have a good size roll of Wirsbo PEX tubing left over from building our house and wondered if it would work.

Thanks Jason

wiam
10-02-2016, 03:07 AM
Any pex I have seen is not a standard pipe size. So it would be difficult to find connectors for lateral tubing.

WESTMAPLES
10-02-2016, 09:17 AM
yes pex works great...3 of my 5 runs are pex tubing ( plumber friend had lots of leftovers when i started out ) works great. you can buy plastic fitting that work with it at home depot ( same manufacturer that the maple dealers sell just different sizing ) . to get a prefect fit i would warm with a pipe torch,slide clamps on, then fitting, tighten before it cools. still do the same process when repairing them but i made mainline fitting tool out of a old car bumper tripod screw jack, 2- medium visegrips, some scrap steel and 30 mins with bandsaw and little mig welder. works great also made a saddle drilling tool from a old saddle drilling bit someone gave me, saddles work great on pex too.

blurr95
10-03-2016, 03:43 PM
yes pex works great...3 of my 5 runs are pex tubing ( plumber friend had lots of leftovers when i started out ) works great. you can buy plastic fitting that work with it at home depot ( same manufacturer that the maple dealers sell just different sizing ) . to get a prefect fit i would warm with a pipe torch,slide clamps on, then fitting, tighten before it cools. still do the same process when repairing them but i made mainline fitting tool out of a old car bumper tripod screw jack, 2- medium visegrips, some scrap steel and 30 mins with bandsaw and little mig welder. works great also made a saddle drilling tool from a old saddle drilling bit someone gave me, saddles work great on pex too.

What saddles should I use. Are the ones from Maple guys ok to use. Last year I bought all my tubing and fittings from them, didn't realize they were the ones running this website until a couple months ago. I was looking at the Lapierre super saddle manifold.

Thanks Jason

Chicopee Sap Shack
10-04-2016, 05:02 AM
The maple guys ones that are the hose clamp ones would be your best bet because the OD of pex might be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldManMaple
10-04-2016, 05:37 AM
Pex tubing may not hold up to uv rays.

From the Plastic Pipe Institute:
The second digit of the PEX material designation code is used to indicate
the level of UV resistance for the PEX material when tested in accordance with ASTM F2657. o A digit “1” indicates the PEX tubing has been tested and meets the
F876 requirement for minimum UV resistance of 1 month. o A digit “2” indicates the PEX tubing has been tested and meets the
F876 requirement for minimum UV resistance of 3 months. o A digit “3” indicates the PEX tubing has been tested and meets the
F876 requirement for minimum UV resistance of 6 months. o A digit “0” indicates it does not meet any minimum UV resistance
requirement or it has not been tested.

From SharkBite.com Q&A
"Q: Can I use PEX pipe outside?

A: PEX pipe is not approved for outdoor applications and is not approved for continuous UV exposure. PEX pipe should not be stored in direct sunlight."

Just saying

WESTMAPLES
10-04-2016, 07:51 AM
i think the saddles i have are CDL... i bought a 5 gal bucket full of new and used from a guy that was taking his father inlaws that passed away tubing system . pex will do fine with the UV no need to panic.. most black poly tubing doesn`t have a UV rating on it, and it stays up for 10 years all year round.... i looked at it like atleast pex is a light color so the sun doesn`t warm it to much in the winter ( you want the sap to stay somewhat cool on its way to the tank)