PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Sap

ebourassa
03-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I have my two 55 gal drums that have aprox. 70 gal in them, it has started to get cloudy due to the warm wheather we have, I have been freezing sap at night and putting it in the barrels in the morning, but it is still cloudy, I am wondering if I should dump or boil it? It was collected 4 days ago if thats any help. Any suggestions would be apprecaited. Thank You

Dropflue
03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
I personally would dump the sap, the bacteria count in sap keeps doubling each hour. If you do boil, you may have off tasting syrup.

powerdub
03-04-2004, 09:51 PM
I am going to take the opposite side as dropflue. Boil it, the sooner the better. I have made some darn good syrup out of some ugly looking sap. If I dumped all my cloudy sap I would not have made 10 gallons of syrup last year.

WF MASON
03-05-2004, 05:21 AM
I helped a friend gather the other day and the sap looked a little cloudy , when boiled , it came out lite. If the sap don't stink when you smell it or boil it , take it to syrup.If it does stink ,take it to syrup and sell it to Bascoms.

MaineMapleDave
03-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Boil it. Go for it. If the sap is bad, you will know almost immediately once it starts boiling. I have made some great syrup from some truly funky looking sap, and have made some goop that stunk to high heaven from some perfect looking sap.

Salmoneye
03-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Boil it...

My last batch last year I waited a week seeing if I could get one last run to add to it...When I boiled the yeast was so high that it smelled of 'baking bread'...One darn good eating batch of syrup...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Due to the warm weather I have had down here I have already had some cloudy syrup and still made Grade A medium out of it.

Boil it, don't have too many more runs but boil it asap and keep adding frozen sap as much as possible.

backyardsugarer
03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
I would boil anything at this point! :wink: Give it a shot get it partially finished ASAP to stop the bacteria.

Chris

Russell Lampron
03-07-2004, 06:16 AM
ebourassa

Yesterday I went out and gathered all of the sap that had run since Monday. Some of it was cloudy and some of it yellowish colored. Most of it was good and clear. I mixed it all together and had about 130 gallons to boil in. Filtered it twice, boiled it in and made 2 3/4 gallons of Medium Amber that had excellent flavor and was just a tinge darker than fancy. My advice boil that sap asap before it sours 70 gallons will make close to 2 gallons of syrup. Wouldn't want to waste that especially this year.

Russ

Algier 2x6 with preheater steamhood
Stihl chainsaws and brush saw
1930 Model AA Ford doodlebug tractor
2004 Honda Foreman S ATV with 35 gallon gathering tank

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Russ,

Was your yellow sap from rain water?? That's usually what makes mine yellow and it will add a little extra color to the syrup! :D :D

Russell Lampron
03-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Brandon,

Yes the yellow sap was from rain water. The cloudy sap was from sitting in the tanks and buckets too long. The sap ran better than expected on Sunday and all of the sap was nice and clear. I thought I might make some light amber with it but made dark amber. It's starting to look like a crazy year like last year where I made the dark syrup first then the light stuff. Has the weather improved for you or is your season done?

Russ

Algier 2x6 with preheater steamhood
Stihl chainsaws and brush saw
1930 Model AA Ford doodlebug tractor
2004 Honda Foreman S with 35 gallon gathering tank
tractor

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-09-2004, 07:38 AM
It's the other extreme this week, too cold to make syrup and it looks like it will stay that way nearly all week. I am hoping for a couple more runs and I would lke to make some light stuff, but I won't complain because everything I have made it been of the medium amber color and excellent flavor. Probably as good or better than I have ever made, but as far as sap running, it has been the worst year I have ever seen. :( :( :( :(