PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fall tapping this year?

Stiets
09-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Good day fellow CT tappers, I am a long time reader and first time poster. Want to say I love all the great ideas and information you all post on MT.

I was wondering if anyone is planning on tapping some trees this fall?

I am thinking about tapping some trees this fall in the far corner of the property that are hard to get to in the winter/spring. So I will not be tapping them again in the spring. I don't plan on using it for syrup but will use it in place of water for a home brew batch. Last year I made a Maple Imperial Stout, boiled down 15 gal of sap to 6 gal and used it my brew wort. I then used a pint of syrup in the secondary fermentation carboy. It came out great and around 9-10% abv. I am hoping to be able to do this again and age the beer until the syrup season. Last year we just drank it once the fermentation was done. It should be real nice aged.

Hope everyone has a great season this year and happy tapping.

mudr
09-26-2016, 01:11 PM
I won't be tapping, but how did the stout turn out? Could you pick up any maple flavor? I have avoided doing maple batches because the sugars are entirely fermentable, so it ups the ABV but there (in theory) isn't any maple flavor. I'd like to be told otherwise.

If I do it, I am leaning towards a mellow brown ale. The maple flavor (if any?) should work well in that style and not be masked by any roasted barley.

Stiets
09-26-2016, 01:45 PM
The stout turned out nicely last year. But you are correct not much maple flavor. I put the syrup in the secondary for a little while and chill or shock it to stop fermentation so it leaves behind a little sweetness. I do like a dark smokey beer so I use roasted/smoked barely. I just like the idea of using maple sap in the wort because I am addicted to maple syrup and anything that has to do with it.

Michael Greer
10-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Be sure to publish your recipe. There are a lot of folks talking about brewing with maple, but not very many trying it. We need to hear about successful brews.

buckeye gold
10-18-2016, 05:25 AM
I usually fall tap and use trees that are not accessible in the spring as well. I watch the weather and decide. it's more of an early winter tap for me. Runs on gravity can be inconsistent, lower volume and lower sugar. Reds don't do anything for me in the fall so stay with sugar Maples.

markcasper
10-18-2016, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking of trying a small amount and its probably going to be on 3/16" just to see what happens, it'd be on trees I cant really get to in the spring anyway.

Mike Van
10-21-2016, 04:47 AM
Here in Ct we're in a huge drought, I can't see doing anything to trees that would put further stress on them.

wiam
10-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Here in Ct we're in a huge drought, I can't see doing anything to trees that would put further stress on them.

Does this mean you will not be tapping your trees in the spring because of stress?

Mike Van
11-03-2016, 04:49 AM
Does this mean you will not be tapping your trees in the spring because of stress? I'm sure by spring we'll be in better shape rain wise. Dry spells don't last long here. Fall season spotty at best here, frost once a week then 70 again, just not worth the time to get everything dirty twice a year.