PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get an Arch

brswiech
09-26-2016, 10:08 AM
I am looking to purchase a wood fired arch and pan in a effort to make my operation more efficient. I currently have approx. 300 taps with little to no room for expansion. My problem is that I do not know what things to look for when comparing arches or which companies make good ones. I have searched through the forum but it is a bit daunting. I figured with it being the off season people may have a little more time to lend some advice. Thanks in advance.

bstewar
09-26-2016, 10:59 AM
I recently purchased a 2x6 drop flue. Purchased the pan from Patrick Phaneuf and the arch from Bill Mason. I narrowed my pan choices down to three, SmokyLake, Patrick Phaneuf and Thor. All were high quality and the choosing was tough. As I initially was acquiring the pans, the arch was going to be purchased later - hence why I didn't purchase the arch from the pan manufacturer. Bill's arch price was very good and included stainless sides, stack, 1/4" fire board and grates. My last season was 140 taps with 2x6 continuous flow flat pans and with any of the prior mentioned drop flue manufacturers, I have no reservations shooting for 200 to 300 taps.

Hope that helps.

mudr
09-26-2016, 11:23 AM
If you are at 300 now, I'd get at least a 2x8, maybe 2.5x8. As far as who to get it from- get prices and go from there.

I feel like I read on on Bill Mason's website he is focusing on smaller rigs like 2x3, I could be wrong. Also, I think he is full of orders for the year (think I read that somewhere...).

I've read some great things about Thor recently. I was really hoping for competitive prices with the current $$$ exchange, but once I finally got a quote (took some time) I wasn't too impressed, I think it wast the shipping that killed me. Same thing with patrick phaneuf. That said, I've heard really good things about both Thor and Phaneuf, really great rigs I guess. The pictures I've seen of Patrick's stuff look gorgeous. But, "reasonably priced" and "maple equipment" don't seem to go hand in hand so I really can't knock either manufacturer for their prices...

I ended up getting a rig from Smoky Lake. Very pleased with it but havent fired it up yet. It was the best price 2x6 I could find, that said the pans were a more basic setup, fewer flues. I didn't need huge capacity yet. Once I expand I plan to sell the pans for about what I paid for them and get his 10-flue rig which should increase my gph by 30% or so (based on surface area calcs).

brswiech
09-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. To give some more info; as always money is the big issue so I would actually prefer to go a little smaller, a little cheaper and reduce the number of taps I have. I went overboard last year and tapped every tree I could find. I am actually considering reducing the number of taps I do have and trying to make everything flow better. This will be my first setup that is not cobbled together so I don't mind not going top of the line either. If it works out I can sell it down the road and upgrade.

WVKeith
09-29-2016, 11:47 AM
I did 325 (250 on 3/16 natural vacuum and 75 on buckets) taps last year with a Next Gen Maple 2 X 6 evaporator and 2 X 6 flat pan with a Deer Run 125 gph RO. With this arrangement, I was able to RO for 3-4 hours and then boil for 3-4 hours to finish each day after work in the late evening. Steve from Next Gen worked with me to get an economical starting evaporator and was even able to deliver it nearby to Seven Springs for the Maple Conference to save on shipping. I was happy with last year's arrangement, but I am planing on upgrading to a flue pan and adding a membrane to the RO to finish even quicker (or tap more trees). Where do you live in SW PA? I am in Bruceton Mills, WV, and glad to show or talk about getting starting making maple syrup.

Keith

MISugarDaddy
09-30-2016, 05:47 AM
brswiech,
My suggestion is to determine what the respective sizes of evaporators will process per hour, then use that to determine the size you need, based on your time available to boil each day. For example, our 2'X6' raised flue easily boils off 50 gallons per hour. If we collected 300 gallons of sap each day on the average and we had 6 hours each day available for boiling, then what we have would be the size to consider. As others have said, you need to determine what each manufacturer "claims" their respective evaporators will boil off per hour (then adjust that down a bit to be realistic) and you can determine what size of unit you should consider. I agree with your plan to go to the top of the line since this will be your first commercially built unit so you don't have any regrets later and don't have to end up cobbling it up to meet your needs. Hope this helps, enjoy the obsession and welcome to the club.
Gary