PDA

View Full Version : IBC metal tote question

mspina14
09-22-2016, 09:00 AM
I am looking to purchase a 275 gallon IBC tote with a metal skin for outside sap storage.

I've seen some on Craigslist for sale that were formerly used to transport "Vitamin E oil" (see photo below).

I know that the key to using a used IBC tote for sap storage is to make sure none of the previous contents of the tote remain and effect the flavor of the syrup.

Has anyone successfully used a metal IBC tote for sap storage that previously held Vitamin E oil?

thanks

Mark

mudr
09-22-2016, 09:10 AM
I know nothing about them, but I'd be concerned with both the former contents as well as what kind of metal it is. If both are ok, I don't see why they wouldn't work.

All that said, most totes I see on c-list near me (all like an hour away) are a bit over $100. I picked up a 300 gal flat-topped stainless milk tank for $300. Yeah, it was more money but it's stainless, double-layer insulated, and I can open it up to clean easily.

acafro
09-22-2016, 09:32 AM
I bought three totes from Ed Berman of tropical products in salem Mass. He charged me $90 each and all had food grade water based liquids in then previously. I used a pressure washer s5nd rinsed then out a few times. No smell they are clean.

Normally I think he sells then for $100 Already cleaned out and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

adk1
09-22-2016, 08:20 PM
I have used one for sap storage for a few years. They are ok but a pita to keep clean

wiam
09-23-2016, 04:53 AM
I have used one for sap storage for a few years. They are ok but a pita to keep clean

I have 4 that I cut holes to accept a16" cover for a larger poly tank. Only issue is if not covered rain will leak in a little.

Maplewalnut
09-27-2016, 10:58 AM
I use them for permeate also. Mine had vinegar in them, super easy to clean and air out.