PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Novice

GSCampChris
09-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Hello,
I run an educational Maple Syrup program for the Girl Scouts of Ohio's Heartland in Central Ohio. We are expanding to a second property and intend to do gravity tubing. This year we are planning on doing 40 taps on tubes on a very small area of the camp. We are planning 5 lateral lines, and a 3/4 mainline.
What tubing tools can you not live without? Is a double handed tool compatible with both 3/4 tubing and 5/16 tubing?
Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psparr
09-20-2016, 01:34 PM
The two handed tool won't work on the 3/4". If the funds aren't there for both I would start with the two hander. Will see a lot more use than a mainline tool.

Bfouts
09-20-2016, 02:41 PM
I bought a two handed tool last year and ran about 30 taps. It was worth the investment. I don't know how I would have done it without.

whity
09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
I have 72 taps on 5 laterals with 1/2" main. I didn't use any tools. Cost to much for to little taps. If you intend to do more in the future it may be worth the investment. A thermos full of hot water will soften the 5/16 enough to get your taps, y's and T's on easy enough

DocsMapleSyrup
09-21-2016, 08:01 PM
I agree with Whity. I installed 50 taps on 3/16 line last year. We made 3' drops in the house and in th field, pulled the 3/16 lines. When we made the drops and when we spliced the drops to the lines in the field, we used hot water in a thermos and heated the end of the tubing and pushed it onto the fittings. I heated the last 3/4" at an angle in the water. I used CDL tubing and fittings but was suprised that it was not as difficult to do as I anticipated. This coming year, I'm going to put new spouts on the tubing and will do it the same way.

psparr
09-22-2016, 05:57 AM
I agree with Whity. I installed 50 taps on 3/16 line last year. We made 3' drops in the house and in th field, pulled the 3/16 lines. When we made the drops and when we spliced the drops to the lines in the field, we used hot water in a thermos and heated the end of the tubing and pushed it onto the fittings. I heated the last 3/4" at an angle in the water. I used CDL tubing and fittings but was suprised that it was not as difficult to do as I anticipated. This coming year, I'm going to put new spouts on the tubing and will do it the same way.

The only problem I see with the thermos method is putting in the drops. When you put up the lateral you want it pretty taught. That makes it hard to cut it and try to hold both ends while dipping in the water and installing the T. With two people it wouldn't be too hard, but once you try a tool you'll wonder why you ever did it without one.

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-22-2016, 06:15 AM
The problem I had with hot water was when I went to vacuum, those fittings put together with hot water often had leaks.

spud
09-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Two handed tubing tools are great. If money is an issue then you can just pop the tubing in your mouth for 10 seconds and then slide it on the fitting. The ever so slight amount of bacteria you may be putting into the tubing is nothing to worry about. You're tubing is going to be full of bacteria after the first season any ways. My kids put drops in their mouth and then slide on CV2 spouts. I still get 25-28 GPT. By using these spouts no bacteria will ever enter your tap holes. If you would like to try some CV2 spouts then just PM me with you're address and I will give you 50 brand new ones for free.

Spud

stoneslabs
09-22-2016, 12:36 PM
I wouldnt give up my line tool for all the syrup in the land!! I have a little less than 200 taps and I get by just fine with a 1 handed tool.

are there any maple operations in your area? seeing as you run this for a non profit community and educational project, perhaps you could "borrow" a tool when in need, you might just end up with a few volonteers to help out as well, I certainly would help out if someone in my area was doing what you are!

bmbmkr
09-22-2016, 06:20 PM
get with your local community college and have the metals tech/welding class make you one- two hhanded or one handed tool that is,

maple flats
09-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Never put the tubing in your mouth, far too much bacteria. I use a 5/16 tube tool with a split 5/16 section over the 3/16 if I'm using that tool. Most of the time I use a Hot End System (a battery powered device the warms the tubing, likely not feasible for smaller operations). Try to use a thermos of hot water. Pre-heat the thermos, then dump the hot water, and fill with boiling water. On a good quality qt. thermos that will do 75 or more connections. Just hold the end of the tube in for a couple seconds, then push it onto the fitting. For holding the tubing I made 2 wooden pieces, about 4" long out of 1/4" oak. In each I drilled a hole the size of the outside diameter of the tubing you are using, then I cut a slot that size with a short section very slightly smaller. The entire slot with that little tighter spot is about 1" long overall. Then I drilled a small hole in each and attached them together with about 20" of 1/8" cord (or shoe lace). They hang around my neck. When I need to cut a tight line to add a fitting, I snap one end on each side of where I'm going to cut the lateral, and I slide them apart so a slight sag or looseness is in the lateral. That holds the line while I cut and add the fitting, then I remove the holder and hang it back over my neck. I actually have 1 for each size, 3/16 tubing and 5/16 tubing. If I make another i may make them with 2 slots, 1 for each size. If you don't round the edges of the holder, it will hold the tubing well.

GSCampChris
09-24-2016, 07:40 AM
I wouldnt give up my line tool for all the syrup in the land!! I have a little less than 200 taps and I get by just fine with a 1 handed tool.

are there any maple operations in your area? seeing as you run this for a non profit community and educational project, perhaps you could "borrow" a tool when in need, you might just end up with a few volonteers to help out as well, I certainly would help out if someone in my area was doing what you are!

This would be a great idea! I reckon I oughta look into the Ohio State Extension program. That would be great to help out!