PDA

View Full Version : Barrel syrup transfere ideas

drewlamb
09-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how to best (and cheaply) move syrup from barrels to my finisher for canning. I am DONE lifting heavy barrels, siphoning, and/or pouring and would love any ideas on how to accomplish moving 10-20 gallons to my finisher at a time. I started to look into pumps and just got overwhelmed by the huge number and different types. Anything specific would be much appreciated. THANKS!

maplenutter butter
09-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Do you have a filter press? I use mine to transfer syrup all the time. I am curius if there is a smaller tranfer pump that people recommend tho.

drewlamb
09-19-2016, 03:29 PM
I do have a filter press but put it to bed at the end of the season. It's also fairly well attached to the draw off tank and not easily disconnected. I could work at it from that angle I suppose, but like you maplenutter, I'd rather find a cheap transfer pump that can handle high viscosity liquids like syrup.

BAP
09-19-2016, 06:01 PM
We used to have a ordorf syrup pump set up on a piece of channel iron with a small motor and set of hoses to pump out the barrels into a canner. It can be a used pump that is worn because it will pump cold syrup with no pressure long after it quits pumping hot syrup under pressure.

upsmapleman
09-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Leader has a air operated drum dispenser. You can empty a barrell in just a few mins. Doesen't work well with steel barrells but is excellent with stainless. You can bulge the steel barrells if you get to much pressure or the syrup is cold.

wiam
09-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Leader has a air operated drum dispenser. You can empty a barrell in just a few mins. Doesen't work well with steel barrells but is excellent with stainless. You can bulge the steel barrells if you get to much pressure or the syrup is cold.

This is not a bad price on one. http://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/5786016815.html
You will need a compressor. I use my pancake for mine. I also built an adapter to clamp on a beer keg to empty those.

ennismaple
09-20-2016, 03:19 PM
We bought a gear pump and connected it directly to the shaft of a 1/2HP electric motor. It will empty a drum in just over 5 minutes depending on the temperature.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-20-2016, 06:50 PM
CDL has barrel pump that's runs off air pressure is $185.

wiam
09-20-2016, 07:59 PM
CDL has barrel pump that's runs off air pressure is $185.

Bascom's price is $139

ToadHill
09-20-2016, 09:17 PM
If you are going to use an air drum dispenser just be careful about the pressure you use. Barrels aren't like a compressor tank. To much pressure and they will explode. The results can be lethal. They should have a pressure control valve, gauge and filter to keep out oil and condensation. Other than that they work very well.

David in MI
09-20-2016, 10:20 PM
This looks pretty similar to me. http://m.harborfreight.com/12-gpm-air-operated-barrel-pump-93755.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

wiam
09-21-2016, 07:17 AM
This looks pretty similar to me. http://m.harborfreight.com/12-gpm-air-operated-barrel-pump-93755.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Sort of. Not stainless. Also does not look to be easily adjusted to different drum heights. Looks like you have to remove/add pipe sections.

wiam
09-21-2016, 07:18 AM
I agree with this. Watch your pressure closely.

if you are going to use an air drum dispenser just be careful about the pressure you use. Barrels aren't like a compressor tank. To much pressure and they will explode. The results can be lethal. They should have a pressure control valve, gauge and filter to keep out oil and condensation. Other than that they work very well.

mapleguy55
09-21-2016, 10:28 AM
The harbor freight one works well. However it is made of aluminum and you have to cut one of the pipes to get to the bottom of 40 gallon stainless barrels because the couplers end up right at the threads on the barrel. The stainless one from leader works well but does not come with a valve and regulator like the harbor freight one

tuckermtn
10-17-2016, 11:28 AM
has anyone made a homemade version of the barrel air pump? do they have an adjustable uptake to accommodate kegs, different size barrels?

i have a credit for Lappierre but cannot find one in their catalog ...

wiam
10-17-2016, 08:08 PM
has anyone made a homemade version of the barrel air pump? do they have an adjustable uptake to accommodate kegs, different size barrels?

i have a credit for Lappierre but cannot find one in their catalog ...

I built a pvc version. Worked ok. Yes height is adjustable. Later I picked up a used Leader one. Nice to have stainless. I also made a base for the Leader that is "sanitary" so it will clamp on to a beer keg opening.

PerryFamily
10-18-2016, 06:13 AM
I used 3/4" water pex pipe, a 3/4 pex x 3/4 pipe 90 to a quick coupler and use my filter press pump to move syrup to the canner. I have obe for kegs and 5's and one for drums. can build that for under $10 each. works great