PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator plumbing question

PerryFamily
09-15-2016, 07:29 AM
So I got my new pans from Thor a few months ago. When I ordered them I got the option to reverse the syrup pan flow so I could draw with front or rear.

I've had them put together for a couple months and when I look at the plumbing I ask myself " is this going to work", my response to myself is always " they know what they are doing I'm sure it will be fine"

But I feel like I should ask

Will this plumbing work with the cross over pipe lower than the rest of the plumbing?
Thanks in advance 14512

nymapleguy607
09-15-2016, 09:11 AM
One thing about fluids is that they will always are seeking equalibrium. As long as the pressure pushing down on the liquid in the syrup pan is not greater than the pressure pushing the liquid in the float box, the level in the pan will equal the level in the syrup pan. It will just need more liquid to fill the crossover tube.

n8hutch
09-15-2016, 11:18 AM
I think it will work fine. You might get a fair amount of niter settling out in that pipe depending on how fast the sap/syrup is traveling through it.

wiam
09-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Should work. Nice looking pans.

maple flats
09-15-2016, 06:45 PM
My Thor pans also have reversible flow, but they are different from yours. On mine the flow from the flue pan comes straight out, then a T and then an elbow. After that elbow a line goes to the left side of the forward float box along the front or aisle side of the float boxes. Then it enters the forward float box. In that line there is a SS ball valve, and between the first T and the rear float box there is also a SS ball valve. That whole configuration is all level. I reverse the flow by closing one of the ball valves, and before opening the other ball valve I move the float to the other float box. Each float box also has a draw off SS ball valve. If yours is set correctly, they have redesigned it, but you should still get good flow, however as others have said, it will catch lots of niter. Maybe that is the plan.

PerryFamily
09-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the reassurance!

Wiam I am super happy with the purchase so far. Excellent price and the quality looks every bit as good as any big name units

Flats this seems like the way they do it now. I noticed the lapierre rigs have the crossover pipe at the same level as the rest of the plumbing that's why I was kinda confused

Jeff I was thinking that's how it should work too. On my old reverse flow pans I ran about 2" deep so hopefully it should work

N8hutch I hadn't thought about the niter. I run 15-16% so sap moves fairly quick. Its hard to see but there is a small ball valve to drain the line

Thanks !

n8hutch
09-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Were your old panswer cross flow? I had never boiled on a cross flow till I got my Smoky lake pans. I really like them , it seems like it's never making syrup where you don't want it too.

PerryFamily
09-15-2016, 10:17 PM
No they were leader patriot pans

I haven't had cross flow until these
My buddy just got some last season and it really seemed like it boiled super hard throughout the entire pan

I'm hoping they work good
I really got them to be easier and less bulky to swap
I got 4 separate syrup pans for 2 complete setups

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-16-2016, 04:52 AM
yes it will, ALLGREEN in Hartford NY has a set of patricks 3x10 and set up exact same way. to my knowledge he has never had a problem.

PerryFamily
09-16-2016, 09:01 PM
yes it will, ALLGREEN in Hartford NY has a set of patricks 3x10 and set up exact same way. to my knowledge he has never had a problem.

Great thanks
Good to know

K.I. Joe
09-17-2016, 04:47 AM
MG 3x8 D &G is set up just like this. No problem at all. No inter problem, no level problem. Boil at whatever depth you want to. Only issue is it is harder to get a good boil in front bay of pan when valves are set to allow flow to front. I think the sap may cool some in the long pipe run. You will love it.

PerryFamily
09-17-2016, 07:21 AM
MG 3x8 D &G is set up just like this. No problem at all. No inter problem, no level problem. Boil at whatever depth you want to. Only issue is it is harder to get a good boil in front bay of pan when valves are set to allow flow to front. I think the sap may cool some in the long pipe run. You will love it.

Great thanks!
I was wondering about it cooling some myself
I may get some foam pipe insulation to wrap the long pipe with?
Also my blower really tends to hammer the air/fire to the front if the arch
Which I was a little concerned with on the old pans but just might be an advantage here.