PDA

View Full Version : How loud is your home made RO?

bmbmkr
09-07-2016, 12:16 PM
I have been following Maple Trader for a few years, and have read a good many posts. Haven't seen one that covers my questions, so here we go.
This coming Spring, I am planning on running small diaphragm vacuum over 500' of mainline, 2-3% slope and 5/16" laterals to 75-100 taps. This will be collected in the head tank in the sugar house.
In the coming years I can add 500 or so taps on 3/16" and another 1000' of mainline on the same slope I'll be adding an RO by then and I was thinking of putting it in the basement of my house, which is 25' lower than my head tank. which is roughly 100' from the house.
I have plenty of room and a garage door on the end of the basement, as well as a floor drain for the permeate - (I've read a few threads on permeate disposal, I'm on 54 rural acres, I'm comfortable with purified water leaching into my lawn/pasture fields, might just pump it into the barn for the livestock, or to the washing machine??

How loud are your RO systems?

A. Diaphragm Pump system
(planned for 2018 season) maybe this coming year if I have enough time to finish my flue pans
B. ProCon Pumps system-
(we will be upsizing over the next 5 or 6 years)
C. Bonus Answer- Small scale Aquatec/Shurflo diaphragm vacuum pumps in the basement?

D. Bonus Answer- Sap guzzler diaphragm pump in the basement?

Pros: 220v
(I only have 110v in the sugarhouse now, but adding 220v in the next few years)
RO in heated space
eliminate lifters/ladders to keep the furthest 1000' of main and 500+ extra taps on 2-3% slope
Cons: Noise??
pumping 25' up the hill

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Wanabe1972
09-08-2016, 02:17 AM
I think an RO built with a shurflo/aquatec pump would not even be noticable. I have a little bigger setup and its not too loud either. Mine is not much louder than a booster pump or a grinder pump. I would be a little concerned about the permeate down the drain. Even a small operation like mine creates 2 to 3 hundred gallons of permeate per run which in my opinion might tax you septic/leach/ drywell. As for feeding to livestock you will have to check on that one as the PH level will be off. IF i just work in permeate for a short time it makes your hands dry up and crack i think it needs to be softened. Jeff

bmbmkr
09-08-2016, 09:41 AM
thanks for the info Jeff, anyone have any info about permeate ph? I know I read somewhere about condensation collected from steam hoods/steam aways, people keep it to wash with, someone even said they fed it to their bees. You'd think the condensate would be similar to permeate, maybe, another thread to research. I'm new to all of this. I wonder if the RO producers have any info on it?

Super Sapper
09-08-2016, 11:34 AM
If the RO is running properly there should be practically no dissolved solids. It will dissolve minerals, salts, etc very easily. As far as pH it could vary but will be very weak as there is no buffering and will change very easily with whatever is dissolved into it.

Bricklayer
09-08-2016, 03:28 PM
permeate water or RO water is basically demineralized water. If you've ever drank Aquafina bottled water you will know what I mean. It makes you more thirsty by drinking it and has no taste at all. They actually remineralize it now when they bottle it to stabilize the ph and for flavour. I bought a whole case once and my dogs wouldn't even drink it. I sat through a seminar at a trade show once about RO water and when you drink it it actually absorbs nutrients and minerals from your body and makes your body re process them. Same with skin. It dries it out because it's starved and acts like a sponge. Lots of people do drink RO water though. Don't know how they do it.
It's actually really good water to use for washing windows and cars. Does not leave any streaks or spots.

Bricklayer
09-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Back to the original question. How loud is you home made RO. I have a dB meter for work and I clocked my RO while testing it yesterday at 78-79 dB. With 1.5 hp feed pump and 1 hp Weber webtrol hp pump running with dB meter right up to RO. It would be a lot less if in basement or another room with door closed

Looked up the reading and this is what it said

Garbage disposal, dishwasher, average factory, freight train (at 15 meters). Car wash at 20 ft (89 dB); propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft (88 dB); diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft (84 dB); diesel train at 45 mph at 100 ft (83 dB). Food blender (88 dB); milling machine (85 dB); garbage disposal (80 dB).

2 times as loud as 70 dB. Possible damage in 8 hour exposure.

bmbmkr
09-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info, it's goin in!