PDA

View Full Version : AOF/AUF blowers

Wanabe1972
09-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Guys and gals,. This fall during my evaporator rebuild I and adding AOF to go with my existing AUF. Do you shut the AOF blower off while loading wood or let it run? I was thinking of adding a switch to the evaporator door handle to automatically turn the blowers on and off if that's the practice. Jeff

DocsMapleSyrup
09-03-2016, 08:25 PM
I have to shut down the fans to not blow out some ash if the fans are running. I have both fans plugged into one outlet that is switched. One of the things I cdon't care for is that it takes a short amount of time for the motors to wind down before I can open the door. I'm hoping to come up with a better system than switching them off. Maybe I should be a little more patient?

Daryl
09-03-2016, 08:54 PM
I keep the fans running and load quick.

acafro
09-03-2016, 09:45 PM
I dont have AOF, but if I don't shut my AUF blower off I get ash all over the place! Including into my pans... may just be poor design. But just my opinion that turning it off is just part of the process now. I have a separate switch for it.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Wanabe1972
09-03-2016, 10:38 PM
I have a switch right by the door ive been using to shut the AUF blower off when needed. I find it depends on the wood im burning and how on top of the fire i am. I have had ash floating toward the pans at times. i think i will add the switch just to be safe.

Sugarbush Ridge
09-04-2016, 12:10 AM
I believe I have heard that using a "blast gate" ,,,, drop gate that just blocks air shuts off air faster than waiting for fans to slow down and stop. I'm still just switching off fans for now, but may give more thought to blast gates in future.

Wanabe1972
09-04-2016, 03:21 AM
I will try to do some research on the blast gate idea seeing im redoing the arch anyway this may be a good build.

RileySugarbush
09-05-2016, 03:42 PM
I put my blower in a wood enclosure to keep the noise down and i have a hinged wood flap over the inlet hole the I let flip down when firing. Instant air shut off.

Sugarbush Ridge
09-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Riley,,,, That sounds like the simplest great idea I've hear in a while. Thanks a bunch for sharing your idea