PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning SS drop flue exterior

DocsMapleSyrup
08-29-2016, 07:51 PM
I am just now getting around to pulling my evaporator apart and I've cleaned the interior of the flue pan but the exterior has a lot of carbon/soot buildup. I've tried 4 cans of oven cleaner so far with poor washing with a 2600 psi pressure washer. Not working that well. I'm Not really wanting to scrub on the stainless unless that's a last resort. I'm looking for something that will loosen the carbon and I can blast the rest off. Suggestions.

These are pictures of what they look like.

Chicopee Sap Shack
08-29-2016, 08:32 PM
That's more than clean enough. Put her back together and light the fire after the first run. (People can't see the underside no need to make er shine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISugarDaddy
08-30-2016, 04:51 AM
That's about as good as we used to get our drop-flue pan. You definitely don't want to scrub it and risk scratching the pan because that will cause it to hold more soot. I agree with Chicopee, put it back together and worry about other projects you may need to work on.
Gary

BAP
08-30-2016, 05:35 AM
Leave it sitting just like that outside for the next 2-3 months letting it rain on it. That will help take it off. Every so often, hit it with your pressure washer. You will find each time you do, more will come off. I do that and can get a majority of the soot off by the end of the summer. Even though you can't see the under side of your pan for looks, the more you can get off the better it will boil because the baked on soot acts as an insulation reducing your boiling rate.