PDA

View Full Version : How will my process change -- from buffet pans to 2x3 evaporator?

Polish Wizard
08-25-2016, 05:02 PM
For my first-ever attempt at maple syrup a friend created a cooker using a lateral file cabinet that was modified and insulated, and has three full-size 6" deep buffet pans on top.

I collected about 40 gallons of sap each time before I cooked it as a batch. This all occurs at a property that isn't my regular home, so I'm not always there.

So far my cook process includes filling all three pans to start, then scooping sap into the hottest pan(s) from the successively cooler one(s) as the cook continues.
A coffee can with a small hole in the side sits on top of the buffet pans and serves as my pre-warmer by slowly draining into the first buffet pan, and hopefully avoiding chilling down the pan too much.

During the cooking, as I ran low on collected sap and the pans start to run low, I would dump the contents of the coldest pan into the next warmest, until I was left with only one pan cooking.
I had additional pans, so I could place one in the empty slot in the cooker, which I then quickly filled with water to avoid damaging the pans. (Also gave me a place to warm and wet my filters)

After destroying a bit of sap early during my first cook (darn the steam); and destroying another entire 40-gallon batch during the final moments (added a bit too much wood) --- I learned to keep my sap very high in the pans, and I stop around 60 Brix, then save it all in my fridge until I can complete the process in a turkey fryer.

Being a novice during my four times cooking, this process seemed to take 12 hours from the time I lit the match until I let the cooker burn out for the night, which translates to around 3.33 gph.
Sounds low, but I assume a better shack (in the process) will help; my skills will improve; and hopefully the boil rate should get better.

If I want to step up to a "professional" evaporator, I'm wondering how it will change my process.
How much sap will I need to have on hand before I light a fire in something like a Mason Hobby 2x3 flat pan?
How easy is it to burn sap in this type of rig, compared to my current process of eliminating buffet pans as the sap is cooked?
Would it be a mistake to upgrade if I want to stay in a small unit --- like a 2x3, or should I stick with my current three-pan system (which is roughly the same overall size)?
I'd hate to spend around $1000 if it won't be much better (or become more difficult) than I'm already doing.
Last year I didn't know what to expect and started by tapping 10 trees, which grew to 40 before the season ended. I'll probably tap even more this coming season, but not sure how many. (<60)
Also, my current cooker includes a fan that provides AUF, and it really works GREAT. Barely any ash left in the arch.
I'd add photos, but can't figure how to move them from e-mail into this forum. (computer illiterate)

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Sugarbush Ridge
08-25-2016, 08:22 PM
You could be going to around 6 gph X 12 hrs = 72 gals. A good set of pans will make things faster and easier and more enjoyful,,,, until you tap a bunch more trees. We people just don't know when to stop finding more trees and taping them also. Good luck

mudr
08-25-2016, 08:27 PM
I think a "real" evaporator would be very enjoyable for you. No more scooping sap. I've done it for the past two years, it works, but a pain in the butt compared to my uncle in-laws 3x10.

I will say this- if you are willing to drop $1000 on the 2x3, go ahead and spend the, what, $1150 on a 2x4. It will be 33% faster, and 33% more fuel efficient.

acafro
08-25-2016, 08:41 PM
I went from pretty much the exact same process you were doing to a 2x4 Smokey Lake Maple pan on an arch I built. It's an entirely different process comparatively but it's much more efficient. I went from 15 taps in my ladel pans to 80 taps in my 2x4 and i had no issues keeping up with it.

But fair warning... if you don't want to spend $1000 now... keep doing what you're doing now... I only wanted to spend that 3 years ago... way above that now... but I enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk