PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried my version of a modified cupola, and did it work?

Polish Wizard
08-21-2016, 03:29 PM
As I create mental plans for adding a sugar shack to the back of my pony barn I'm running into a few issues; and trying to do it cheap also causes headaches.

The addition will be about 9'w X 10'L , and about 7' inside wall height--- not real big.
If I design the roof as usual, I'm looking at 4:12 pitch like other structures on the property.

As I anticipate adding some form of closable cupola I wonder if I can get away with an opening on only one side of the roof.

Standing in the yard looking at the width-end of the structure, the wind would usually blow right to left.
Last year for my first-ever tap and boil I tried this trick with a temporary tarp shack --- having the ridge beam for the right 1/2 of the roof about 1 foot higher than the left roof --- thus creating an opening for steam to escape and hopefully not battling wayward winds.

My temporary tarp shack had a lot of openings so steam escaped no matter what the wind was doing, which means my experience doesn't give exact clues how this will work.
Last year I cooked using a three-buffet system on a home-made cooker, and usually went through about 40-gallons of sap for each day's batch.
At 40 taps, it wasn't a big operation.
Maybe this year I'll add to the taps - depending how my schedule will allow for cook time.
This is all for fun-and-frolic --- since I give most of the syrup to friends and family that laugh at my foolish retirement antics.

Has anyone built on the cheap like I'm considering and did you have any problems?

I'm also wondering about 6" horizontal flue transition in a wood structure without costing and arm and leg, but that will be a different post.

I'm heading out of town soon (back to the "farm") , so I may not respond to any posts before Tuesday. No computer and minimal cell coverage up there.

maple flats
08-22-2016, 07:20 AM
I've not heard of anyone trying that, but you could make a simple hood for the evaporator (I've made 3 over the years, 2 were out of aluminum flashing and pop riveted together). Then run a stack off that, thru the roof and then go up high enough to be over the main roof adjacent. Another choice would be to put a T on top so that no matter which way the wind came the steam could easily go with it. Under where that steam stack leaves the hood, make a funnel to catch the condensate and channel it to a drain at the bottom of the hood and drain that to a bucket.