PDA

View Full Version : Is my syrup still good?

Bigfish
08-19-2016, 08:28 PM
So this was my 1st year making syrup only taped a couple trees but enough to to fill a few mason jars with syrup. I just noticed that I have what looks like crystals at the top of an unopened jar. Is this safe to eat? I didn't filter what I had and have some solids on the bottom that didn't seem to affect the flavor on the last bottle. Also I have about 20 gallons of Sap frozen in my deep freeze that I was going to boil down but with the arrival of our 1st child the Sap has just stayed frozen. Is it still ok to boil or should I just pitch it.

Super Sapper
08-20-2016, 05:42 AM
If it is crystals than it is good. If it is mold at the top, skim it off and reheat to 180 to190 and rebottle. As long as it is for your own use it should be fine.

SeanD
08-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Typically, crystals for on the bottom first. Mold is usually on the top - but who knows? If it's mold, follow Sapper's advice. If it's crystals, put the jar in a hot water bath until the crystals dissolve. Then you can add a few tablespoons of water to it to correct its density.

The frozen sap should still be good. Thaw some out and give it the sniff and taste test. If it's bad, you'll know it.