PDA

View Full Version : When to run vacume pump?

Parker
03-04-2004, 06:52 PM
So i finally have the pump in place and the releaser on the tank...When do you run the vac. sys? All the time it is above freezing? even if it has been warm for a few days? I started mine and had a bunch of sap that was in the lines allready come out BUT then I walked the lines and noticed that almost all the taps were starting to run pretty good!!!!! All day I had MABEY 5 gals. off of 400 taps in 2 hours with 15lbs vac I got (guessing here) 30 gallons and I did not start the pump till 4:30 or so. Also how much Vac. should I be able to maintain? In the garage I was able to hole 22 lbs (everything blocked off) in the woods 15lbs seems to be max at the moment (5.5hp honda). Also how hot do those pumps get under normal conditions? and can I run a 10ft. line off the exhaust line of the pump or would that make too much back pressure?
Thanks in advance, Parker

powerdub
03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Right or wrong this is what I do. My pump comes on at 32 degrees. It stays on until the temp drops to 30 degrees. (used to be 28). Any time the temp is above freezing, night or day the pump is on. I run 22" HG. I think I could go lower but I don't know if it is bad for the trees or not. No one has proven it either way for me yet. All I can say is keep that thing running as long as you can and you won't believe how much more say you will get. A guy I know starts his pumps when he taps and shuts them off when pulls them at the end of the season. They run 24/7. Can't tell you much more about your pump as mine is liquid cooled. Have fun.

syrupmaker
03-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Powerdub....What are you useing for a t-stat on your vac pump? i've looked in Graingers and can't seem to find anything that will fall in the 32 degree range for an on temp. All i find is therms for hvac that start and stop at 45.

Rick

Parker
03-10-2004, 08:45 PM
HOLLY VACUME BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!star ted the pump at 10:30 and at 5:30 pumped on 600 gals from 400 taps 8O 8O 8O
Parker

powerdub
03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Rick, the one I am using is like the ranco no. 3ZP77 found in grainger. I am running a motor starter with it and using the conacts for my heat tape as my pump is liquid cooled. When the pump shuts off the heat tape comes on automatically. Mine is an A419 by johnson controls I think. Looks like the ranco though.

mapleman3
03-18-2004, 07:16 AM
OK second day in a row I'm not running the Vaccuum, it's 8:15am and still only 25 out, usually I would start it at under freezing if I knew it would be in the 40's, but today as yesterday, it's only going to be in the low 30's... why waste the electricity....this happening to anyone?

Al
03-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Nope not happening here. Of course I could use some bucket heaters!!!!!! :lol: :lol: To much maple candy! :D
Have a great day!

Parker
03-19-2004, 04:41 AM
It has been way too cold here for anything to run,,I have been able to work with the frozen ground so it is kinda a blessing. Looks like it will bust loose this weekend. I checked all my tanks on the way home last night and did not get a drop the last few days. From what I have seen it needs to be around 38 and warmer for the ice to melt out of the lines. Parker