PDA

View Full Version : Transfer pump recommendation/help needed

dem
08-05-2016, 07:42 AM
It has been over 30 years since I last made syrup. I am putting in about 150 taps that will end up in 1" mainline that has a 35' drop into holding tank. Going gravity feed to start.

I need to then pump from holding tank about 150' with an elevation rise of 35-40' to my evaporator holding tank. I am planning on using the 1" mainline for this run as well.

I would like to put my pump at the evaporator end as I can much more easily drain, manage, etc. during the season freeze thaw cycles.

Anybody have recommendations, ideas on how to configure and on types of pump to use?

SeanD
08-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Hey, dem. Welcome to the Trader. It's a really quiet time of the year on this forum, so you may not get much of a response, however there are a TON of threads about pumps and many with questions and situations exactly like yours. Do a search for "pump" or "transfer pump" and you will find what you need. I prefer to do an advanced search and use the key words field.

Sean

Zucker Lager
08-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Hey Dem:
Most pumps won't lift more than about 25 feet in the best situation maybe 29. I think your best bet is going to be a submersible pump in your tank at the bottom then let that pump UP to the evap holding tank. You would have to control that from your holding tank evap area maybe with a float switch? One thing you might run past a well driller is using a "jet" pump in your holding tank with its supply pump at the upper location???? might work and you could then control / drain everything from your sugar shack. Will cost you another run of pipe down to the jet pump. Good Luck and happy sapping Jay

Zucker Lager
08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Hey Dem check out the deep well jet pump here this is what I was talking about. Jayhttp://http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/jet-pumps-used-for-private-well-systems-or-low-flow-irrigation-applications

Zucker Lager
08-07-2016, 10:55 AM
I see that that link isn't working so if you copy and paste it into google then select what google suggests that will get you to the electrical engineering portal. sorry about that. Jay

lpakiz
08-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Dem,
If you have not constructed your main line and laterals, read up on 3/16 natural vacuum. With 35 feet of drop, you can have max vacuum without a pump or releaser. It would involve running all your laterals all the way to the tank-no mainline.

dem
08-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks lpkiz. I am looking into this. I have been reading up on this and it looks interesting. My 35 fot drop is after my sugar bush. I think I can run my laterals into my 1" at the top of the hill since my 150' of 1" dropping 35 ft is all after all my taps. I am still looking into this.

dem
08-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Hey Dem:
Most pumps won't lift more than about 25 feet in the best situation maybe 29. I think your best bet is going to be a submersible pump in your tank at the bottom then let that pump UP to the evap holding tank. You would have to control that from your holding tank evap area maybe with a float switch? One thing you might run past a well driller is using a "jet" pump in your holding tank with its supply pump at the upper location???? might work and you could then control / drain everything from your sugar shack. Will cost you another run of pipe down to the jet pump. Good Luck and happy sapping Jay

This is the direction I am leaning. Just looking for the right pump.

dem
08-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Hey, dem. Welcome to the Trader. It's a really quiet time of the year on this forum, so you may not get much of a response, however there are a TON of threads about pumps and many with questions and situations exactly like yours. Do a search for "pump" or "transfer pump" and you will find what you need. I prefer to do an advanced search and use the key words field.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I sort of expected this but thought I would post the Q any way. I will start searching through the various threads. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

maple flats
08-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Having the 35' drop in the mainline will not generate any vacuum. For a natural vacuum the tube must be small enough that the sap can not slide under the gasses (air). This is easiest with 3/16, but with the right number of taps 5/16 can generate vacuum if the flow is great enough, but 3/16 always generates vacuum as long as you have the drop and the sap/air/sap/air... is filling the line. Besides, 3/16 costs less to install and you don't need saddles or other mainline fittings.

maple flats
08-08-2016, 10:42 AM
To pump the sap, you then are better off pushing the sap up, a deep well pump will cost more and a deep well pump would need a water source (sap?) at the pump to create the pumping action. They work by pushing a smaller amount down to then pump more back up. As such the down pipe would need to be protected from freezing as would the foot valve.