PDA

View Full Version : August Journal

DrTimPerkins
08-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Must be slow....nobody started the new journal yet.

Still on Professional Development Leave....writing, writing, writing.

BAP
08-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Finally getting some much needed rain. Working on building my new sugarhouse.

wiam
08-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Sunday I put in a culvert to make it easier to get to my releaser. (As in less mud)

mainebackswoodssyrup
08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Purchased a used finisher for a great price. No more finishing in the pots and easier transfer to the filter press. Pretty excited about that.

Maple Man 85
08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
This should be the week I hear back from USDA on our operating loan!!! In our down time we've been putting together a social medial page. Also shoulders deep in a maple equipment related research project to finish out my MBA.

Like us on Facebook @northwoodsmaplefarm

Maple Man 85
Northwoods Maple Farm LLC

RC Maple
08-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Finally getting some much needed rain.

What did you have to do to get that? I am looking forward to being able to say that too. We seem to be on the 0.1 in/week plan here. Every time the weather looks promising for a rain, it looks like it wants to but just can't. More chances this week. Maybe our turn's coming.

BAP
08-03-2016, 08:55 AM
We lucked out and got 1.9" of rain over the last 3 days. My sister lives about 65 miles east of me and received nothing. Extremely spotty this year on the rain.

Maple Man 85
08-12-2016, 09:20 PM
This should be the week I hear back from USDA on our operating loan!!! In our down time we've been putting together a social medial page. Also shoulders deep in a maple equipment related research project to finish out my MBA.

Like us on Facebook @northwoodsmaplefarm

Maple Man 85
Northwoods Maple Farm LLC
Had our farm visit from the USDA today and received verbal commitment on our operating loan. Time to hit it hard and build the new sugar house before the snow flies!!!

Parker
08-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Just about have 35 cords of sugarwood cut and split,,still have to stack it inside and get another 15 cords worked up,,been digging lots of spuds,,planted 300lbs of seed in the early spring, and did they ever grow this year...,tending 100 tomato plants,,and of course logging....looking forward to walking the lines when it cools down some...,,,thinking about yet another addition to the sugarhouse for another 1500 gal. Tank,,,,,

bairdswift
08-13-2016, 11:22 AM
What are you doing with the spuds and tomatoes?

Parker
08-13-2016, 11:43 AM
I have sold 500 lbs of spuds,,,but i enjoy giving them away also,,anyone want some? Come on down still have 3 rows left,,,,tomatos are just comming into it,,,,big fun!! Create joy,,,whatever you give comes back to you x10,,,,,,,

tuckermtn
08-13-2016, 01:48 PM
... Create joy,,,whatever you give comes back to you x10,,,,,,,

amen to that, brother Parker!

Wanabe1972
08-20-2016, 08:41 PM
I have been working on the revamp to the sugar shack. Everthing is cleaned out and ready to seal the floor. The new kitchen and RO area will be done this year so everything is housed under one roof. My daughter just purchased a plot of land that is going to give me another 50 to 60 taps this year. I just ordered my new 2x6 pan set from Smokylake (yeah). Once it cools down ive got much to do in the woods.
Jeff

jimsudz
08-28-2016, 06:26 AM
I had been putting up sugarwood till this summers heatwave hit.last few weeks have been making product for our local county fairs and the great nys fair. made 15 pounds of maple coated nuts yesterday for the state fair. Now the next project is to put a lean-to on my polebarn and new steel roof. hope it will go quick so I can get back to the woods.Milled up some tap hole maple for our Wyoming County Maple building at the Western NY Gas and Steam Engine grounds.Well of to work on barn.heres a few pics I can't take credit for the installation but I can for the kiln drying and milling.turned out beautiful.

adk1
08-28-2016, 08:19 PM
I have been working on stacking sapwood will be using mostly hardwood this year. Have tons of sugar house work to do yet but most of it will be saved for rainy days. Still have to frame in a small ro room and install the ro

ennismaple
08-29-2016, 11:50 AM
We emptied 2 drums on the weekend to fill some orders. Now that the summer is almost done I expect sales to pick up until the end of the year.

We spent a day and a half cutting and splitting next year's evaporator wood this weekend. With my buddy and I cutting to length my brother couldn't mark and throw off the pile fast enough. We got 17 pallets filled on Saturday and finished the remaining 6 pallets of wood on Sunday. We were each drinking a Liter (quart) of water/Gatorade every hour and my brother still started to show the early signs of heat stroke at one point. A cold shower under the garden hose plus a rest and some modified work duties (sitting on a chair under an umbrella while operating the splitter lever) eventually brought him back. What we split is likely enough wood for next year but after this year's sap tsunami we're running low in the woodshed so we'll need to order one more log truck worth of wood to make sure we have enough if we have a repeat of 2016.

We desperately need rain! Every beaver flood around is dry or almost empty and the rivers have zero water in them because the lakes are so low.