PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate tanks / barrels

acafro
08-01-2016, 10:21 AM
I've looked into the cleaning of barrels and what type of barrels to use (plenty of info, thanks!) but can't seem to find anything specifically on chocolate barrels.

I figured these might be a decent type of container to use but wanted to see if anyone has successfully used barrels with chocolate or vanilla in them. Or if anyone would know if that would cause off flavors in my sap once cleaned properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axle54
11-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Was looking for the same information. Have a nice barrel that I think had Olives in it. I know most say don't use previously used food barrels because of off flavors. But we have time to let them soak and rinse. Repeating many times. Not sure what to use as a cleaning agent though. Hopefully some experience will chime in....

maple flats
11-06-2016, 08:25 AM
I have used them with the original label showing Real Vanilla, Canola oil, Safflower oil and apple juice. Only buy them from places that were the original ones to empty the IBC, or barrel or from those who got them from the original user. Once they have been used, unless it was a maple producer you have no idea what might have been put in them.